Best Way to Clean Carpets/Mats?

This is a topic I don’t think I have ever run across before on JLers.

Superblack arrived with pretty filthy carpets and mats, and wondered what’s the best and safest way to clean them. Suggestions, anyone? :confused: Also, although the trunk/boot gray carpeting is in much better shape than the cabin carpeting, I was wondering if there is some way to effectively and safely clean it? I would think the risk would be that whatever is used to clean it might soften or weaken the backing board pieces or cause the adhesive to loosen so that the fabric detaches from the boards. :open_mouth: Also would like to clean the tire cover carpet piece and the jack tool kit bag – can they just be washed in a washing machine like regular color clothing and dried in a clothes dryer? Soaked in Woolite and air dried instead? :confused:

I wouldn’t force dry them, just let them air dry. How about one of the carpet shampoo sets that you can hire from stores?

If the 84 and 94 bags for the jack are the same I would not wash them.
You can brush carpets or get a wet vacuum and use dishwashing soap or wool detergent or some shampoo. If you’re quick they won’t wet through.
The floor mats I did pressure wash but was careful at the seams.

I just did a thorough interior clean as the PO was a smoker. I rented an upholstery cleaner from Home Depot. Ace Hardware has them too. I prefer the one from Ace Hardware. They are a smaller version of the “Rug Doctor” style carpet cleaners but just come with the upholstery attachment. It worked quite well. the biggest challenge is that the interior of the XJ-S does not have too many flat areas. Nevertheless, I was pleased with the results. I also used it on the headliner fabric (convertible). Just use the recommended carpet cleaner solution they sell alongside the unit.

The machine sounds great, only thing is I 'm in an apt. and I presume the thing would need to be plugged into 120 current. I guess I could get a very long extension cord and run it out of my unit to the parking lot, though. Thanks guys! :smile:

Carpet cleaner and a stiff brush… Emulate what home carpet guys do.

Remove them and use lots of suds… Dry vac.

Carl

Auto stores have spray cans of foam carpet cleaner…use lightly and a stiff laundry brush…perhaps several different times but let dry off a day or two in between

Or :grin:

An opportunity for another toy.

A small gas generator. HF has one for about a “C” note.
Light enough to cart around. Two cycle engine a bit “skittish”. But will produce enough for small draws.

Matt’s up[holster cleaning machine plus a shop vac to dry itr…

Brrr, it’s getting cold around here…

Carl

I have successfully and unsuccessfully washed jaguar carpets in a washing machine. When it went wrong, the coagulated Lint backing basically dissolved into a sopping goop which was then flung and stuck onto the side of the washing machine.

In cleaning car mats, I’ve always found the hi-pressure wands, and supplier hanging clips, at ye olde local friendly car wash to be the best.

I’ve seen those “converters” for sale, that you can ostensibly plug into your (DC) cig lighter outlet and they will generate a.c. power (120 volt?). Wonder if they really work that good, though. :confused:

Not at the amperage draw the vacuum/carpet cleaner will likely take.

Bite the bullet and just pay a detailer to do it for you.

I think You have inverters in mind. Little one work for very light draw devices. Boats and motor homes use big ones to do that.

The one I refer two is an AC generator. Driven by a little two cycle gas engine. I have one. It worked, once!!

Also a fall back to save the food in a fridge during a power outage.

Not good for electronic devises. Output not that well regulated…

Looks as if I ‘cooked’ up a winter cold, ugh… Nose running and ugh feeling… Vitamin C and light duty

Carl

Double down on the vitamin C Carl keep that cold at bay!

As a placebo, it can’t hurt…:wink:

1 Like

Yes, “inverter” … I knew it was one of dem “verter” words … :smile:

Be sure you have had your flu shot if not already, Carl … (and everyone) … Read yesterday that N TX here is being hit especially hard … :thermometer:

1 Like

Agree as to the flu shot. On my agenda for next Friday. Not now, as I sense that it and the cold bug m8ght not get along or get along too well for my well being. doc visit on for then. do at least wo things on one visit… Possibly three!!

Feellng a bit better… Rest yesterday PM. And a good night’s sleep. Very effective. More light duty today ! Kids orders !!!

Ter and operative combination of letters. Can be appended in more than one place.

Rains today per weather folks…

Carl