Best way to remove a 420G / Mk X front wing

As you may have seen in my other post I was seeking a wing to repair my poorly Mk X.

I have now - I think - sourced a wing from a UK based seller. Only its still attached to the car. The seller is asking me what the best/correct way to remove the wing is.

I could look at my car and guess but i thought it’d be better to ask the experts. Its UK / RHD drive car and the wing that need to come off is the passenger side - that is to say the US driver’s side.

So yeah → 420G wing removal 101 …GO…

Any assistance greatfully recieved

I would use a thin bladed “ Hot Wheel” on a 4 1/2” side grinder. You can get them in 6” diameter. It will NOT be fun. Wear every king of protection you can imagine.

1 Like

SiL and I replaced the front right wing on my ‘S’ we cut straight up from the wheel C/L to the swage where the bonnet meets the wing, cut along there and then dropped down to the grill aperture. I’ll try to find the photos and post them.

I Believe the very best way to do it would be with a plasma cutter.

I recently cut the LH front wing off a MKX wreck, as my 420G has old repaired with filler accident damage

Its also common for them to rust in the wheel arch lower lips.

Its best to get as much as possible, and its a time consuming job, as the door must be removed. I also had the bonnet off and windscreen out

I used my Milwaukee 5" grinder mainly, assisted by a Hackzall

In this way, I did not have to deal with any spot welds at the time

I would expect to have to compensate someone fairly for their labor on this job,
its leaded on and cannot be unbolted

If you are talking about removing the damaged wing from your car, that is a BIG job

You will need to drill out every spot weld.

There is literally pounds of lead over the MIG welded seams. I think you will find Oxy is the only realistic way to melt that

angle grinding the needed amount out of the way is the only other alternative

in lieu of lead, I used SS impregnated epoxy filler to cover some repairs done when lead needed removing