Best Xmas Gift Ever?

My son gave me something amazing for Xmas - He commisioned a custom Lego kit of an E-Type, in the colors of my actual car! I never knew such a thing was possible, but he found someone who does it, and it apparently wasn’t even all that expensive! He had to purchase all the parts but the “designer” gave him a complete parts list, with Lego part numbers, and a very detailed illustrated, step-by-step assembly manual, exactly like you’d get with any “factory” Lego kit. Now, given the “medium”, this is obviously not going to be a “councours correct” model. But, given the “curvy” nature of the E-Type, and the decidedly non-curvy nature of most Lego parts, I am astounded that the job he did! It is really a work of art!

My son apparently found photos of this E-Type:

which someone built some time ago, and submitted to Lego as a possible new factoy kit. Lego declined to take it up. But my son sent the photos to the designer, along with photos of my own E-Type, to get the colors as right as possible (pearl white paint, cream/light cinnamon/dark cinnamon interior). He did his best to replicate the original model, and I’d say he nailed it.

I’ll have to get to work building it! I will try to take plenty of photos, as there are many intereresting, and very clever, details, especially in the engine and interior.

Here are just a few photos of the “kit”:

The Parts:

The finished product:

The cover of the 230 page assembly manual:

11 Likes

Now that’s special! What a thoughtful Christmas gift. Better than a jigsaw puzzle on a Saturday afternoon.

Wonder if I can get one of the Jeepster… :slight_smile:

EDIT: I have not once in my life ever built anything from Legos: I just ordered a couple bags of white ones, plus a few wheels.

I’ll let y’all know how Operation Legoeep goes…:wink:

Very cool, Ray. Very thoughtful too!

Wow, that’s really cool! Extremely thoughtful gift you’ll always cherish. Very nice! How did he find a “Lego Engineer” to design it?

Cheers
Dave

1 Like

My son custom made this one for me in 2019, for my Christmas just before bringing the E home for resurrection. One of my most treasured Christmas gifts ever!! The “hard top” comes off to replicate my OTS. The minifigure is me with my box of parts, manuals, and “instructions” from the JL community!! :slight_smile:

I can take more pictures of it when I return to the office (it’s on my desk at work).

4 Likes

Somewhere I have photos of SWMBO adding Lego bricks to a full size model of a Maclaren. I’ll see if I can find them.

And in Wolfsburg, in the VW museum is (or was) a full size Lego version of Herbie.

Very cool that he got a functional bonnet on that! And the engine is really cool as well! Can you post a few more photos? I may have to try to duplicate that one.

My son had these two additional photos on hand. I’ll get some better ones next week or the week after, when I return to the office (we had a water leak in the facility this past weekend, and it may be closed for a couple of weeks!).

He also said he found a kit or instructions for this, but he ordered the parts separately so he could customize it for the one he build for me. I googled “Lego XKE” and found this online -

1 Like

It would be fun if some customizer modified a real E type to look like a Lego model. It would sure be a hit at Cars & Coffee!

Just draw some round circles on @Wiggles jeepster? It’s already got the basic building block pattern nailed :rofl:

That’s kind of what I’m hoping… :slight_smile: I am sure this is going to be an interesting experiment!

Nah, we want you to make the real Jee Type into a Lego version. Get a bunch of these thin base plates and cover the body, and a crap load of bricks to add detail. You could have the world’s fastest Jaguar-powered Lego Jeepster at Bonneville next year!

https://www.amazon.com/Baseplates-Stackable-Strictly-Briks-Compatible/dp/B01MU31IIH/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?crid=MTMNT0EAD7QN&keywords=lego+base+plates+10x15+white&qid=1672173242&sprefix=lego+base+plates+white%2Caps%2C203&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVVlPWUFDSE85M00wJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTgwODYzMUQ4NVkxTDJJREs1TyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjM4MTEzMVNCNFpOUTZCMTNCRSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Uh… will you be funding this?

Im pretty sure I would spend multiples of moola more than the Jeep cost me to build!

:crazy_face:

It will be a good investment - you’ll be able to sell it for big bucks on BringATrailer when you have your speed record established. It will become a true BaT legend!

1 Like

But… but… it’s not matching numbers.

Oh, they match… in some odd fashion.

:laughing:

When it comes time in a couple of years, that is precisely where I intend to advertise it… :slight_smile: Should make for a hell of an interesting auction!

They match fine. I’ll bet each of your chassis, body, engine, and transmission use decimal numbers. When one is decimal, one is binary, one octal, and one hexadecimal, THAT is a non-numbers matching JeeType.

1 Like

Does that make it… a woke Jeep?

Asking for a friend.

Now THAT is truly hilarious!