Better automatic transmission for Mark 9

The 4L60E is in and I have run it a hundred miles. It is awesome! The low first gear pulls this 2 ton vehicle effortlessly from a start. Sometimes the 1-2 shift is a little abrupt. The cruising shifting is so smooth and effortless a person hardly notices it. Depending on throttle position, upshifts are near 2,000RPM. Around town throttle-initiated downshifts are effortless and in the right place. Highway 70 MPH is about 2300 RPM.
I will make the intermediate hold switch on the dash be the switch between performance and cruise settings Performance will downshift easier and hold upshifts longer. The points are adjustable. Right now I have the max WOT RPM at 3500 for cruise range.
I can put in a switch for full “manual” mode whereby a bump switch would control the shifts, but this is not a performance vehicle. I would install those options if I were to cruise with smaller sports cars on twisty roads. It would give me braking downshift options that are helpful going into the corners. But then I would have to have larger sway bars, wider tires, etc.
Right now she cruises so smoothly, so effortlessly, so quietly, she is a joy on Route 66. Miles are ticked by in comfort and grace and style. Comments and thumbs up galore. A 60 year old car that easily accelerates and brakes with today’s traffic. So different than the poorly engineered Metropolitan built by Austin. (I own one).
Wind noise is irritating above 60 MPH. Could be rain gutter or the corner transition from the windshield. I have seen deflectors for classic cars. Would appreciate remedies.
Overall, the 4L60E is a VAST upgrade for the Mark IX with original XK 3.8L. It was worth all the effort putting it in.
Cruising again and loving it.
Dana

4 Likes

Where did you purchase the tranny? Was any modification required?

A local very experienced rebuilder. He put in a shift kit to slightly increase how quick and firm it shifted out of personal preference. No modification of the transmission was necessary.

As you have a 4L60E could you please describe what electronics you have to control it, does it still have a manual kickdown cable, you said it has a TPS, does it have a TCU ? (trans computer)

Did you have to cut any bodywork on your vehicle ?,is it LHD or RHD ?

Is the 4L60E physically smaller, the same, or larger than the T7004 ?

Same size. No cutting. Using a TCI TCU. No manual kickdown. Yes, a throttle position sensor TPS. Kickdown and gear change has to do with vehicle speed sensor VSS, RPM sensor and throttle position. The RPM module came with the TCI kit and simply attaches to the coil. The VSS is on the tail shaft of the transmission. Tire size and axle ratio are entered into the computer.
Mine is a LHD. The T7004 shift points are set with with rotating weights/springs (governor) in the transmission. Electronic shift points are easier to change than mechanical. I can select normal or performance modes.
I did have to cut the mount off the frame for the old shifting mechanism. I also had to re-route the exhaust pipes due to the shiftier linkage. It is not an easy job.

2 Likes

Full options now on the 4L60E transmission in the Mark IX

I hooked up the switches that make the electronic 4 speed OD transmission such a joy.
To the Speed Hold switch, I hooked up the ECO/Performance wires. From delightful cruising mode to higher shift points and easier downshifts at a flick.

Of the three lower switches, the one on the right forces torque converter lockup.
The middle chooses automatic or manual shifting.
The left one is Bump Up or Bump Down gear selection in the manual mode.
They will all get labels in time. They are in a very unobtrusive place, yet easy to use. The short black “duckbill” handles fit right in with turn stem and larger “speed-hold”.
They all work perfectly. The choices in the TCU setup menu and as one drives makes the 4L60E perfectly adapted to the Mark IX weight and XK 3.8L engine. Choices abound to suit the type of driving, terrain and traffic.
I have read on this forum much head scratching over the choice of manual or automatic for the Mark IX. I feel like I am lacking nothing with the 4L60E. Driving is fun again. I will never stall at a light or miss a shift. All shifts are quick and at the right time. I can drive in Branson, MO (very hilly, lots of traffic lights on those hills, lots of close expensive traffic). Anyone in my family can drive the car. I can let the computer decide or be active in gear selection.
I am just tickled pink taking her out today! After 18 months and 1,000 miles with the old, leaky, inefficient BW250 that had no Park pawl, this is just a joy! The car has come alive, and is quiet, moderately quick, and smooth, no longer lazy and old. LOVE IT!

1 Like

What tyres do you use to give matched roadholding to your modern transmission?
The reason I ask is that I had new wide whitewall, but not radial tyres when I bought my Mk9, 6 yrs ago. I have the T-700 box with John’s adaptor kit, but roadholding was not nice.
I therefore changed to Pirelli Cinturato, of correct dimensions, and it made a HUGE difference!!!

Yeah, one thing at a time. The former owner put on some wonderful looking wide whitewall Coker Classics. They are a bias look radial poly and steel belt, but at 6.50 width (165mm) and 90 aspect ratio, complain when pushed around corners. They cruise very smoothly, though. Thanks for the recommendation.

Pity nobody make radials, in the right dimension, with wide white wall sides

Improvise…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

OMAC Universal White Walls Tires Insert | 15 inch Rims Side Wall 4 pcs. | Auto Exterior Accessories

https://a.co/d/dBHtZYt

There’s a guy here in NZ that will come to the house and scuff the side walls and apply a white wall to the tyre, one of our club members has a 1 family owner E that was purchased in the USA she eventually married Phil Kerr who was the manager for McLaren Racing when Bruce was alive. It was her car I saw the process being applied to.

Diamondback Classics here in the US sells modern radials with vulcanized white walls.

That process was used on this car.

Proper whitewalls on the white car. You need to be up close and personal to see the difference.

Nice chat about tires. On a thread that has to do with a better transmission.
Perhaps move to a different thread.
Although I love hearing from you chaps.
Dana

I looked into it at one point. It’s done here by “home visit” guys as well and I was quoted something less than $200 (all four). It’s actually illegal here to remove wall material. I see cars that have had it done - I guess it’s a matter of hoping not to be noticed and defected.

Today:65degrees F, wonderful day for a cruise on Rte 66 in Missouri, sliding sunroof partially open, flow through heat vent. Could not be better! Round trip 50 miles. Longest yet with this new transmission, but too short!.

The guy who rebuilt the 4L60E was interested on seeing how it ran. He takes pictures of classic cars he has done. Right next door was the visitors center for Baxter Springs, KS. Had to take some photos, as Grace is SO photogenic. She did not behave herself, tho, as she marked her territory a spot or two. (chasing leaks is down the priority list)

The transmission could not have run better. Ran 70-75 MPH on Rte 44, cruised nicely on Rte. 66 back to Joplin, MO with shift points in all the right places, could not even feel the gear changes. The quick 1st gear pulls this big car quickly from a stop, smoothly to cruise, effortlessly. The performance mode holds gears longer, the manual mode shifts quick with a bump switch, and the TC lockup is nice at times. The mechanic took an hour with me. He was fascinated by the car. It was fun.

2 Likes

Are you searching for the windscreen vhrome surround? Guess and hope so😅

Yes, I miss that bit of shiny, too. I have it, but the hardened gasket no longer holds it. It almost blew off while I was trailering the car home after purchase. I am considering a two tone black and silver paint job. I will replace front and rear windscreen seals then. Interior front leather is next. Then finish the A/C system with an evaporator. I have the compressor and condenser in. It is my “tinker” project. I like to work with my hands to keep boredom at bay. So “little by little”…

1 Like

It’s a problem with new gaskets, too. I replaced the front and rear windshield gaskets on my Mk10 not long ago, and the chrome has proven impossible to place in the new groove. I think I’ll have to glue it on. I also had to shorten the front windscreen gasket by 1/2" as there was no way it would have worked. Not hard to do with cyanoacrylate gel. Gaskets came from David Manners, but probably same sources as all the western suppliers.

The new gaskets just aren’t as accurate as the originals. Others have reported this, as well. I suggest you try to find NOS if you can (probably can’t). Some report better results from Australian products, but I don’t recall details. When I restored my Mk2, I reused the original windscreen gasket for this reason.