Bettie's Engine Update Sept 14th

Hi all,
Here are the latest images from Coventry West for my 3.8 rebuild. Note I am using a 4.2 water pump and oil pump…

2 Likes

will you have to undo the water pump bolts to fit the alternator brackets?

Yes… That’s what I did last time too.

Looking great John and you have the best people doing the work!

When I disassembled Tweety’s engine, the amount of corrosion on your cover is what I expected to find on mine: it was as smooth as factory.

Yours is perfectly serviceable, so not criticizing it.

The water passage from timing cover to block differs from the 3.8 to the 4.2. The original 3.8 cover was pretty far gone from corrosion so we substituted another. I did modify to accept the larger water pump impeller from Johns pump. Basically had to mill out some metal to accept the larger impeller. Now it will work with any XKE pump. Maybe John can post a picture of what happens when the antifreeze is not changed often enough.

Yes indeed, this is what I got from the Previous Owner after he tore it apart…

Orig%20timing%20cover2

Yep… a cautionary tale. Thanks for the frightening pix!

It looks like you crafted a piece to allow John to use a 3.8 bypass hose? Very nice!
Cheers,
LLynn

Lynn,
Dick Vandermeyden machined that custom bypass hose adapter for me out of a piece of solid stainless steel! He was most generous and a good friend to me during my restoration. Sadly missed now.

2 Likes

Thanks John,
I never met Dick but always enjoyed his posts/wisdom.
We missed you on the tour, hope all is well!
Kind Regards,
LLynn

Lynn,
I wanted to come but my Bettie is without a motor this year. Is it over now? Next year I will try to be there.

Hi John,
We got home yesterday, Drew is still on the road but I think most everyone else is home. On second thought I think Geo is planning an extended return too.
Next years should be fun so looking forward to seeing you then.
Cheers,
LLynn

1 Like

Where/when is next year’s Leak?

Wiggles,
I am not certain but the blog mentions that Kjell is planing something for next year that will take them from Death Valley to Crater Lake in Oregon.

1 Like

Got back home today. It’s a long drive from Port Angeles to Austin. :slightly_smiling_face:

My car obviously has some of Dick’s handiwork in it since it used to be his car. Wish I could have met him.

–Drew

3 Likes