Black SU Carb Piston Chamber

On an SS100 !
Gosh, surely any normal driver would just have flattened the screen?

Thanks,

Peter

Perhaps he had a fetish and wanted clean aero screens as well.

So is it an air pump driven off the back side of the fan belt to provide pressure to shoot the washer fluid? He couldn’t just tap into one of the head core plugs and use manifold vacuum like a Mark VII? Guess he was thinking squirt gun, not well pump.

Sorry Ed, didn’t immediately see your invitation.
I am of course aware that there are still those - but not you - who maintain SS100 never had any tool-kit at all, but then the ‘Flat Earth’ society still has a dedicated membership.

As it happens, I had only recently discovered ‘strong evidence’ of this little know inclusion of a SIXPENCE in the SS100 tool kit for the exact purpose of unscrewing the SU Suction Chamber damper nut. Indeed I have recently found a non-factory reference, to their being two variants, one for home UK SS100 tool-kits, and one for export market tool-kits.

As luck would have it, I also have found confirmed exact period photos of these correct tools, fortunately for evidence purposes, they are clearly dated.

See photo below of Jaguar part no. C.6d for UK home delivery tool kits, appropriately dated for 1938MY SS100…

And indeed, also an export market - in this case Australia, of a C.6d-ex, but again for 1938MY SS100…

I have yet to confirm any original tool-kits for SS100 deliveries to other export markets, but expect probably also New Zealand and South Africa.

For those wanting a 100.0 point resto ………………….

Ha, ha! Apparently they weren’t interested in exporting to the American market. The Kennedy half dollar doesn’t fit, the Eisenhower dollar doesn’t fit, the Sacajawea dollar doesn’t fit, and the Walking Liberty half dollar which would be period correct doesn’t fit.

The diameter of a 6d coin is 1.5 mm, the same as a US penny. But the radius is wrong, of course.

For those, I might suggest a plain brown paper bag with some folding stuff slipped to the judge : >)

1 Like

Here with a tutorial on how to spend a sixpence On both the saloon and SS100/ SS1.
Also showing the correct saloon knurled screw.

Her Maj appears courtesy of Windsor family P/L