Blasting Cabinet for rusty parts

Just but this together , for a whopping £35 , just need to buy the pot now , have quite a few old jag parts that need a good clean , :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I made an electrolysis bath for the same purpose for similar money. Pretty good at removing paint ( where there is rust underneath /is unsound) and very good at removing rust. It is in a normal house hold bin so will take big and small parts. Used an old notebook power supply as the power source. Two pieces of rebar as the sacrificial anodes.

Parts come out with a lot of black staining ( passivated rust) that needs to be scrubbed off. I would say electrolysis first then use the blasting cabinet to clean up afterwards would be the best of both worlds.

Cheers.

Dave

Well picked up a 20 gal blast pot today , like new , made in 2015 , for £40 , had a quick go on a hub , well impressed only went over it for a few seconds , bit I did is like new !!!
Just need to seal the feed pipe into the Cabinet , and connect the Hoover up .

20190622_152342|281x500

1 Like

I see…you have built yourself a pressure blast cabinet. Here in the US, pressure blasters are usually used outdoors, whilst blast cabinets usually contain siphon feed blasters. The media is stored at the bottom of the cabinet, sucked up, and reused.

Your system will be more powerful, but I suppose you will need to manually recycle the media. Or perhaps (as often the case) I don’t understand. :slight_smile:

I may well move on to one like that Robert , truth be told I don’t have a great deal of parts to clean ,
The disadvantage with mine is you can only use what is in the pot , then you have to sweep the grit out the trap door .
The advantage is I can place quite dirty parts in there , and have no fear with the nozzle getting blocked up , as grit from the cabinet will be sifted before it go’s back into the pot .

Plus I do have 2 axles that need doing , I can cut a big hole in the drum one end , have half the axle in it , do that with a cover over the other half , then turn it around and do the other end !

Well used the Cabinet for the first time , a few issues , connected a hoover up to it , but it was too powerful it sucked a glove off the mount .
I did wear a face mask all the time I was blasting !
So blasted with a glass front open a little ,
Got it set up in the green house , not ideal as the sun reflects on the glass and makes it hard to see .
The blast pot come with a valve nozzle , that developed a hole in it .
Got a better design one from Germany .
It’s ok did what I wanted to do , but compressor was going all the time , when I re site it , I can fix the issues .
All in it was around £100 !
I got a 25kg bag of glass media off e-bay £16 deliverd
Yes , I had to sieve the media , as I re loaded the pot , very few big bit’s in it !
Only re filled it once , that was before I started , so had no lost time re filling !

s-l16001

1 Like

Not an actual blasting but successfull in removing paint, grease and rust in one process is a bath in
condensed solution of NaOH (caustic soda). I revived my fuel tank in & out this way with a 5kg NaOH + warm water.
It successfully removed on the tar gunk from the bottom, rust from inner walls and paint from the outside without affecting metal. The resulting surface is nowhere as shiny as blasted but way safer for thinner stuff.