Body number stamped at front of body near radiator above grille

Hi. I have a 1956 MK1 2.4 and I cannot see a number stamped into the front panel just behind the radiator where they normally are. I have had many MK1s and this is the first one that does not have it. I have rubbed it back to bare metal – nothing! Was this a thing? I see no welding underneath to suggest a new panel has been fitted so I am at a loss as to why there isn’t one there. Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Hi, can’t shed any light as to the why, but I have the same issue with my Mk 2 from the mid 60s
Mike

Hi.
I have found the number stamped on the Front under the hood and also behind the rear bumper of my 62 Mk2.

Bill

Thanks for that Bill, I dare say a removal of the rear bumper may be in order! It is puzzling as all mk1/2 saloons I have owned have a stamp at the front above the grille, which mine doesn’t. the chassis number is an early 2000 RH car, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Hi mkone,
my early 56 Jaguar Mk1 doesn’t have that number either. After studying this a bit I came to the conclusion that the early Mk1s simply didn’t have the number stamped anywhere. Fortunately the engine number of my car was documented, although it was lost a long time ago. So with the information I had, the Jaguar Heritage Trust looked up the ID number for me and sent me a Heritage Certificate.
Chris

I had to scrape layers of built up dirt and paint to find the #s on my 57 and 58 MK1. To the right of the hood latch back against the corner of the radiator surround. I scrapped with putty knife and a small stiff wire brush. The 57 #s were between 3/8" and 1/2", the 58 #s were more like 1/2". The 57 had a rivet or weld where the third # went, but the 58 was all there and they seem to be hand stamped individually.