Body off connections

Is there a list any where of things to remove or disconnect to lift the body off ? If not could we start one ?
Thanks Jim

Seats and Floors
Steering column
Pedals
Radiator
Brake fluid reservoir
Bumpers and support brackets
Throttle linkage
Fuel tank hose
Spare tire
Inner wing valences
Battery and ground cables
25 body mounting bolts

no harm in a list here…but Service Manual p N36 is rather complete.
Nick

Thanks I bought the manual on DVD , but could never get it to play . I have tried it on someone elses and got it to work , but the image quite blurred . I have copied it as best I can in case it is of use to others
Jim
DETACH MECHANICAL CONNECTIONS

Drain cooling system

Drain petrol tank

Disconnect petrol pipes the two unions at the ends of the rear cross member

remove the handbrake leaver

Remove speedometer cable from instrument

Remove rev counter cable at rear of left hand cam shaft cover

Remove water temperature gauge bulb from thermostat housing

Remove oil gauge pipe at flexible connection above oil filter

Remove clutch and brake peddles

Disconnect throttle linkage at flexible joint adjacent to rear carburettor

Disconnect engine breather pipe at front of cylinder head

Disconnect air conditioner hoses at bottom of inlet manifold and at the metal pipe below manifold

Disconnect brake servo pipe at bottom of inlet manifold

Disconnect clutch supply tank by removing bolt and nut and springing tank out from clip, tie up the tank to the engine

Disconnect brake supply tank by removing bolts and nuts from mounting bracket and tie up tank to engine

Remove air cleaner

Remove steering manette control, steering wheel, column and starter tube

Remove radiator and top and bottom hoses

DETACH ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS

Disconnect battery positive lead

Remove lead from starter motor and earth strap from top securing bolt

Remove horns

Disconnect wires from dynamo and earth wire from rear mountain bolt

Disconnect wires from rear of snap connector block at front of left hand wing valance

Disconnect high tension lead and distribution wire from coil

Disconnect wire from auxiliary starting carburettor solenoid

Remove fuse box cover and disconnect two petrol pump wires (blue and white)

From underneath body at rear of right hand front wheel pull the petrol pump wires out of body conduit remove harness clip and coil up wires at side of chassis frame

Disconnect stop and reverse light wires from snap connector

Disconnect wiring harness clips at chassis frame front cross member

REMOVE BODY

Remove radiator grill

Remove front and rear bumpers

Remove front seats

Remove carpets gear lever nob and gearbox cowl

BODY MOUNTING POINTS

Location of the 24 body mounting points (early cars 22 points) are as follows

Bottom of radiator frame - 2 bolts and nuts

Bottom of dash panel (engine side) - 2 nuts

Body floor to chassis frame side member brackets - 4 bolts and nuts

Body floor to cruciform and side members - 10 set screws

Rear seat floor to cross member - 2 set screws

Inside of boot (early cars) rear of floor - 2 bolts and nuts

Inside of boot (later cars) rear of floor - 2 bolts and nuts

Front of floor - 2 set screws

1 Like

it is hard to beat a paper service manual…anyway looks like you have details…just a few pages to copy tho, should you need em or other., plenty of paper manuals on ebay all kinds of prices…realizin it costs a lot just to copy the entire book. Best to have the Manual and the parts list, and the Service Bulletin set. and of course…Urs2 books, and of course XK120 Explored, XK140 Explored…the Service Manual has been republished by Autobooks Kenneth Ball…handy but does not include all of the Manual. Nick

This is one of the most factory shots.

Could we spend a moment to to discuss the details of this shot?
I can start here:

1. radiator is missing. This is rather interesting, as I fitted my body on the frame in exactly the same way and the radiator caused no obstruction,
  2. You can see the aluminum distance pieces at the body to frame mounting points,
  3. drums painted gloss black (along with the suspension parts)
  4. harness was pre-installed
  5. The harness has the P-clips premounted.
  6. Horns are not mounted (no bull bar)
  7. The bar which mounts the front bumpers in not pre-installed at this stage -
  8. Exhaust system is mounted
  9. Braking system is complete, possibly bleeded?
  10. The body has the accelerator linkage preinstalled
  11. Sidelamps are mounted, but not headlamps - why?
  12. Engine bay painted black

Tadek

[quote=“ysmalkie, post:6, topic:368832”] just postin these two in one post…and,
this is a disc wheel car, so not SE, notice the fan blade tips, notice the enerator finish, what else do we see? Fun to look
details of this shot?
I can start here:

1. radiator is missing. This is rather interesting, as I fitted my body on the frame in exactly the same way and the radiator caused no obstruction,
  2. You can see the aluminum distance pieces at the body to frame mounting points,
  3. drums painted gloss black (along with the suspension parts)
  4. harness was pre-installed
  5. The harness has the P-clips premounted.
  6. Horns are not mounted (no bull bar)
  7. The bar which mounts the front bumpers in not pre-installed at this stage -
  8. Exhaust system is mounted
  9. Braking system is complete, possibly bleeded?
  10. The body has the accelerator linkage preinstalled
  11. Sidelamps are mounted, but not headlamps - why?
  12. Engine bay painted black

Tadek
[/quote]

factory%20body%20to%20chassis%20XK

A couple of things we can see from this photo is that Ernie controlling the hoist is not a vampire as you can see his reflection on the body (once you see it you can’t unsee it) and his mate Richard behind him is real worried about the slings because he did a bodgy job on them and now the boss is taking a photo.

1 Like

George (with pipe) has no tie! Demoted, to “fetcher”, for improper dress.

I wonder why they would have temporarily installed all 20 lug nuts at this stage of assembly ?

Each brake drum would presumably already be secured in place to its hub by the normal two small slotted flat-headed machine screws, so the temporarily installed lug nuts would be redundant at this stage of assembly.

vent in wing, tandem brake lines…and ok to smoke a pipe.

Fan blades are half painted.
Front shocks appear to be black.
Engine bay is black but underside of bonnet is body color.
No headlights possibly because the type would depend on the destined country, which might not be known at this point.
Brake bleeding would certainly be easier with the body off.
Lug nuts may be there to protect the studs from damage?
The pipe operator is preparing to install the smoke in the Lucas wiring harness. :grin:

2 Likes

The chassis next in line doesn’t have the engine breather tube fitted yet.

I reckon the lug nuts are just protective caps. Very bright compared to my lug nuts.

Aluminium mounting blocks rear and sides in place.
Straight handbrake.
Not sure whats hanging out the front bumper mount bolt holes?
Next

the tandem brake lines indicate the car is after approx April 52, FHC 669003 RHD, 679622 LHD, the side/foo air vents were in all FHC. Was this to be LHD or RHD? …so back to the finish on the generator, and the fan blade tips…both have been items of discussion. ??
Nick

I would think that since the steering column is not visible in the picture, and that the column would most likely be pre-installed at this stage of assembly, the FHC in the picture would be RHD ? Also, in a LHD the pedal openings in the left hand firewall should be visible in this picture ?
I have no idea why the fan would be black with white blade tips.

Maybe this particular vehicle was specially prepared in order to be photographed ?

Looks like the chassis is supported by 4 vertical posts, at a convenient height for the workers to get at everything. Maybe the next stage would be to install wheels then somehow, lower the vehicle to the ground ?

If you zoom in on the picture you can see the clutch and brake pedal arms, and the parking brake handle is on the right of the gearshift, so it is LHD.
It would be really really hard to guide and fit the body over the steering column, not that its all that easy to put it in afterwards. I once did it by myself but wished I had 2 helpers. 140 and 150 are of course totally different.
Those wires hanging out of the bumper hole are probably for the horn, stuck through there temporarily.
Earlier factory photos show fans with the center spider black and the blades completely unpainted. The Mark V Service Manual shows them both ways. One of the many items for which there is no clear demarcation date.
Again zooming in, those are brand new lug nuts.
The tandem brakes and black engine bay narrows it down to mid to late '52.
I imagine at the end of the line when the wheels were put on there was a hydraulic lift under the wheels to transfer the cars to a pair of ramps and get the trolley out.
Presumably there was a supply of each color wheel and hub cap waiting there.
Then if the fender skirts were numbered to match the body, they would have to be waiting at the end of the line.