Bonnet cables and springs for S2 XJ 1978

Maybe the reason for such heavy springs is to prevent the hinges from rattling and clanking on every bump of the road ?

Once I’ve properly adjusted mine, it took a few attempts, I had no problems.

Indeed, Aristides - and Jaguar used heavy springs for a positive release even with some misalignments of bonnet and striker pins? Some of us have experienced the cumbersome procedures necessary with a failed release…

Or Jaguar may simply have installed readily available (valve?) springs just for economy and convenience…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

More likely, these are standard parts and possibly made for single-latch or non-counterweighted bonnets etc. and thus stronger? I can live with the stronger springs, preferable to one side not unlatching - the bonnet is held from rattling by the tension of the rubber seal, not as much by the springs pushing upwards.

Jochen, I have the pin mounting gadgets out of the car from both sides,
Found out that the pass. side pin entrance is way over to one side.
I will take it further apart to see if I can centralize it so it can accept the
whole pin to lock it in place.
Walter

You probably have to mount the pin, and forcibly bend it to suit, Walter - then tighten the locknut…

Do check the captive nut in the hood. And do ensure that the hood doesn’t lock while you go thrugh the pin adjustment process…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks for taking the effort, Walter,

a snug fit of the huge hood will certainly contribute to more stiffness and rigidity of the body and rattle free ride - once you’re through I’ll dig in as well!

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Need both heavy springs for the hood latch mechanism, I want to
make those springs much weaker then the original springs.
Let me know if somebody has a spare.
1978 XJ6 ser.2
Walter