Bonnet liner replacement

I have probably touched on this before but now I’m attempting to do something about it.
My bonnet liner is still complete but has come away from the bonnet in places. It’s bulging and flaking with the bits and pieces separating.
My question is, can I replace it with a 12 mm single layer heat blanket or is there a need to follow the original design and have the sculptured profile maintained. Ie was there a specific air flow paten in mind when the original 1982 bonnet liner was produced.
Trev

I have a 1996 and I couldn’t wait to dump the original bonnet liner! I replaced it with a 1/4" closed cell neoprene mat that I easily cut to size and I used 3M #80 adhesive. (Make sure you don’t use the other numbered spray adhesives by 3M, #80 is the only one you want)

I bought the liner on eBay and it has held tight for years with no ill effects.

Some people take the liner off and leave it uninsulated…

Thanks for that Veekay

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/Hoodliner.html

– Kirbert

G’Day, Trev. You are not a man to make hasty decisions, methinks. We touched on this topic last year! Here are my own unscientific and unproven opinions for you to chew on. The spoiler below the front bumper helps create a low pressure area under the car. Engine heat is “sucked down” and exits below the car. The bonnet liner (IMHO) has no aerodynamic qualities at all, just clearance concerns.
I have used the product Kirbert shows on my 1960 truck, with great success.Fifteen years now, and still looks good. I still don’t have a firm opinion on whether the liner protects paint. I have had cars with, and without , a liner, and haven;t noticed any difference. Having said that, if the hood liner fails on MY car, I would replace it for the sake of appearance! (Making sure that nothing can get tangled up in the throttle rods!) Hope all is well in OZ!

Trying to download a picture of the liner installed back in 2007 during an engine rebuild, It is about 5/16 inch thick and is a reflective plastic bubble products. Has worked well all this time.
Doesn’t look like the picture is downloading, so if you email me can be sent to you,

Thanks Don. I would appreciate a copy of the pic.
Trev

Thanks all for your feed back. I’ve ordered a sheet of 12mm self adhesive foam that has a serviceable surface. I accept that the air entering through the front is drawn out of the engine compartment by the negative pressure created underneath, however I can’t escape the idea that there is a purpose for the sculptured liner. I wonder if t is intended to direct air flow over specific components before exiting out below. To this end I’m going to apply a second layer in pieces, mimicking the original liner. I’ll let you all know how this goes.
Trev

I’m going to go on record and suggest that the self-adhering part may be the weak link in your plan. Do you have any info on the adhesive used and whether it will maintains its job over years while being roasted by the engine?

Unable to see how to reply to the email as to how to post a picture. Old forum site had our email available if we wanted to share with others. It also could show where in the world we are, or car model and year, ect ect. Can you tell I want the old forum back☺

Hit reply, then just above where you start typing you will see a symbol with an arrow pointing up, two to the right from the quotation marks. Click on that, then upload your pic.

Much better than the old system, where it needed to be formatted to some tiny file size, then wait for approval. Even then, most people didn’t know, or bother, with inserting the photo into the post. They would just link you to the photo book…

This way is way easier and better.

If you click my avatar, it’ll show you my car and location! Can you see it?

You did not indicate your location when you signed up, so I cannot locate you, but I know you drive an '87 XJS.

Hi Veekay. I have used this pro.duct before but not for this. The supplier can tell me anything in regard to the longevity of the adhesive and who knows. If it fails I’ll use some 3M. In my experience the adhesive is only as good as the surface it is sticking to. I intend to clean back to metal, reprime and paint the undersurface of the bonnet before sticking the liner on.
Trev

Thanks for telling me how to up load pictures.

Thought you would want to see bonnet installed. On old sight the car and my location where shown. Could someone please tell me what avatar is

Don . . .
Go to Google, type in “define avatar”. Lots of definitions, but I suspect the one you want is “an icon or figure representing a particular person in video games, Internet forums, etc.”

Don,

Yes, many things are different from the old site. On the whole the new platform is a step forward, but it does take some getting used to. We’re working on various things, but if people take the time to fill in their profile then the information that you mention is available.

Have a look at the user guides:

https://forums.jag-lovers.com/c/user-guides-and-how-tos

Thanks for that Don. Very neat job.
Trev