Bonnet Rear Rubber Rest Seal - Length? (MKII 3.4L 1961)

Hello Friends,

I have just purchased a Bonnet Rear Rubber Seal BD4920/3 and it’s only 21cm long as per the photo. The one I’m replacing goes all the way around the channel at the back of the engine compartment in front of the bulkhead and is about 130cm long. Which is correct?

Cheers,

Tim

I just checked and mine extends about 8cm either side of the scuttle vent - about three times as long as your newby. Mine has been replaced at some stage. Paul

Mine is 21 inches long , same size as the old one I took off , I have had the car for 40 years , so think the old one was factory !
It’s there to stop the water getting on the Control box , so I guess a little over hang each side of the shield is ok !

Hi Ian & Paul,

Thank you both for the messages. It’s odd that it wouldn’t go the full length of the bulkhead? Just trying to get my head around the thinking behind the seal?

Cheers,

Tim

It’s just to stop the rain going on the electrics !
If it was full length of the bulkhead , it would seal all the heat in , it’s bad enough as it is !

The Parts Catalogue I found online says that the “Rest Rubber at Rear of Bonnet” is 22" long. There you go!

Cheers,
Tim

As Ian has stated - just to protect the area over the solenoid. I have experimented with full seal and also to include all sides and soundproofing was excellent, but unless I cut the side triangle vents out, little place for heat to go.

Thank you again.

Did you use the bonding adhesive used to stick such things as the door sealing rubbers in place or just push it on?

Cheers,

Tim

I just pushed mine on no adhesive , has never moved about !

I like the sound of that. Thank you, Ian.