Bonnet trimming

Hi folks.

How much of an edge do you have at the rear of your bonnet? When I close up the gap properly, the bolt heads of the stiffener between the center section and wing are hitting the drain channel on the bulkhead. Here’s what I’ve got.

Oddly uneven and pretty close to the stiffener.

Measured bonnet on two series 1 cars. One car pretty much 1 inch all around between the edge and the flame. One car varies a little but all measurements between 1 inch and 5/8s.

Can’t get at mine to measure right now but I had a much wider space when I started adjusting mine and still had to add some metal once the bonnet was properly levelled and centred. From memory I ended up with about 1 inch pretty evenly all around.

Thanks for the input. It’s hard knowing what is right or wrong when you’re starting with a used bonnet from another car.

Might have been worth stating in your initial post that you were using a different bonnet.

There is a recognized datum point which is the lower corner of the fender wheel arch and this should line up with the front corner of the sill, assuming that the sills are original or have been correctly replaced.

The straight part of the fender bottom edge should measure between 19 1/4" and 19 3/8". If it is any less, you may need to add metal to the rear edge.

Way back when I did my '62 bonnet, I had already purchased new fenders from Jaguar and they came about an inch or so too long, needing to be cut to get the proper gap.