Bonnet Up and Away

Rigged now to hang from ceiling. Next out is the exhaust system then block/trans drop-out, thru bottom.
So far, so good. That sailboat rigging thing is coming in handy. Is a bit “Sword of Damocles”-ish, tho.
Huff

2 Likes

Nice, that frees up a lot of work space. Depending on how high it is, be careful you don’t bang your head on those sharp corners.

One of the first things @Wiggles did when he saw my Jag on my 2-post lift was commandeer two terry-cloth towels – one for each corner

2 Likes

Some inexpensive foam rubber pads taped at the most likely places for head impact would be much better than a trip to the emergency room.
That hasn’t happened to me, but I can see how it might.

Paul

…good call, all!
Thx, Huff

Hello Huff,
Nice work, what is the front attachment point for your lift?

I did a similar space saving measure. The idea came to me after remembering the hoist for the Mercedes SL hardtop!

I wove in a double line around the motif bar and created a bridle around the over-riders terminating in a square knot, hauled up to a single eyelet with a second eyelet employed by another line, to the same bridle, as a safety. Each eyelet is placed in the ceiling approx directly over the over-riders, whereas the eyelet anchors for the rear of the bonnet are spread further apart, attempting to be directly over the locking mechanism catch-pin(s). The bridle is not as pinch or chafe free as I would like but will work for this event.
This was a 2 man job, readily, and a bit of a dicey operation, relying on some store-bought tensioning gear, not just line: 3/8 in. x 8 ft. XRT Rope Lock Push Button Release 500 lb. Break Strength
The key is to disconnect the return spring/stops, line up the bonnet hinges directly under the rear ceiling anchors/eyelets, make bonnet perpendicular (car will need to be lifted approx 12 inches to get the over-riders to clear the floor, when bonnet is straight up- currently my car is on the EZ Car lift, w/castors so to roll elevated vehicle into position is relatively easy), hook “S” hooks from rope locks into ceiling eyelets and to lock pins at rear (now top) of bonnet and hoist enough to support to extract hinge bushings so the nose of the bonnet “floats”. Start pull up on front bridle, hook s hooks to front/ceiling eyelets and bridle, continue hauling (someone helping lift from under front-of-bonnet is advantageous) until horizontal height achieved. Tie in added safety lines then stand back and wonder why you did this.
In my case it was the only unclaimed realistic territory in the whole of the garage or else I would just upend the bonnet on some sort of “rolly” platform and shuttle upright to some space where it could live for a while. As my car is on a rolly device, now, I just roll her away from the new overhead menace to have headroom to work and put back under, when done, to be able to close the garage door.
Now comes the part where I have fewer excuses to not get this engine out!
Huff
'69 2+2

1 Like

Nice one! I did read your description but kinda got lost in the rope/knot/lifting dialogue. Any chance of a photo of the front?

…along the same lines…project “suspended” for 20 years. The second photo depicts how my spouse and I moved the bonnet around…off and on the car and trolly multiple times (before and after paint).

etype suspended

2 Likes

I built a bonnet mount for long-term storage during my restoration.

/
/
Used these plans from Xxxxxx here on J-L

/
/

/
Used by my painter

Bonnet is held by steel plates bolted to wooden uprights using bonnet pivot mounts

1 Like

It is a bit embarrassing, the way the eyelets are anchored (should be horizontal, not vertical) and the haul-up/tie-off lines could be neater, but it all is working, thus far) and the way it is rove thru the motif bar, could be more secure.

I have since implemented more foam corner-protection.

nothing like a mainsheet or halyard and a couple of Harken blocks to help out!

1 Like