Boot clip locations

Hi all,

Tidying up the boot (trunk) of XK120 FHC #680000. Boot was rebuilt with new sheet metal during PO’s restoration , and tgey never installed the various tool clips. I have all of the clips and tools, and about to embark on installation… (steel wheeled, by the way)

I have photos of the various locations , but if anyone has more accurate locations (or a template?) of the holes for the clips, it would be much appreciated…

Chris - this picture may help a bit - 54 xk120 OTS

Mine had all the original holes for the clips.

Here is a better photo of the Left-Hand-Side clips that secure the Jack and the Ratchet Handle - a totally original/untouched XK120 so not a restorers interpretation, first with the Jack and Ratchet Handle fitted…

Note the clips are all Cadmium Plated with aluminium pop-rivets attached AFTER the panels have been painted, and another showing just the clips…

Note the alignment of the rear-most Ratchet Handle Clip and the rear Jack Clip…, and a better one of the Rubber Socket and its retaining clip…

This left hand side of spare-wheel tray, is same for all XK120s, with and without wire wheels, and OTS, FHC and DHC…

The right-hand-side, my research says three holes (one per clip) were drilled for the Wheel Brace Clips and two holes (one per clip) were drilled for the Budget Lock Key, and indeed all clips were attached by Pop-Rivets to hold the Wheel Brace and the Budget Lock Key - if the car was Disc Wheeled and thus did get a Wheel Brace, but if the car was wire wheeled (from factory) the evidence is mixed whether the Wheel Brace Clips were still provided, leaving just the pre-drilled holes…
Robs picture of Wheel Brace and Budget Lock Clips (with Wheelbrace fitted) look pretty right, but see attached of original clips, albeit the rear Budget Lock clip is missing/broken off, but you can see pop-rivet hole…

See also pic of an original right-hand-side of a factory wire-wheeled car, noting it has the Clips for the never-supplied Wheel Brace, and the two clips for the Budget Lock key are broken, in this photo, but have now been replaced with exact original NOS Clips…

Are you also interested in the CLIPS for the Tyre Pump, mounted on the RHS of the Luggage Compartment area, and also the CLIPS for the Grease Gun mounted in the engine bay - but you need to advise your chassis number as there are age related variations to both these…

Thank you for those, Roger. Especially the rear jack clip.
I have never liked mine where it is, makes it impossible to get the jack in and out with the tire in place. And yet I did not find any hole where you show there ought to be one.

I have no explanation for your clip placement, as all the XK120 clips for both Jack and Ratchet Handle are located as per my two photos of known/original cars. But it hasn’t been easy getting good photos, as this is not an area casually photographed, and these pics were specifically taken to show original unrestored clips, their rivets and their location on original unrestored panels… , but still no full set of original/undamaged clips on right-hand side for Wheelbrace and Budget Lock key And I still don’t have any decent photos of clips in an aluminium XK120, just to verify one way or the other if the same.
And as before, there are of course variations in clips for Tyre Pump, and for Grease Gun, which I have mostly covered now with good pics and detail…

Roger, I hope these help.

MANY THANKS :smile:

At last - decent pictures of an aluminium XK120 Spare Wheel tray and Luggage Compartment clips for all tools - I was of course aware of the tyre-pump being on the LHS, but not the subtle differences with the other clips…

Thanks all, fantastic information! Looking forward to getting all my clips in place this weekend…

I am missing the tire pump, so will likely skip that part until I pick one up.

Chris.