Boot Emblem Blues

O.K., I’m not happy about this … :angry:

Back in October 2019 I bought new “chrome” boot emblems for Superblack off a U.S.-based vendor on Ebay (who, btw, no longer sells them in particular, I noticed). Namely, the “Jaguar” and the “XJS” lettering (the “V-12” is pretty much impossible to find currently for facelifts, new :frowning_face: ). Although I only paid around $12 apiece for them, when they came in they appeared to be as good as OEM ones. :joy:

I was walking past Superblack last week and happened to look back, and was shocked to see the emblems had both turned BLACK. Not a trace of the silver “chrome” on them. WTH? :open_mouth: Since Supberblack is a non-runner, she has only been hand-washed a few times to date, w. no polishing or even waxing performed. :confused:

I have written the seller about this “development”, and am awaiting their response.

Anyone experience anything similar? I have asked the seller wth did they paint/coat the emblems with that they couldn’t even last a year in the elements. :rage: I remember when I first bought Superblue almost 5 years ago I r/red her with the identical, non-OEM emblems (APPARENTLY from another Ebay vendor :roll_eyes:) and they are still going strong, with over 90% of the silvering still on them.

Atty,
It only means that your eyes are still in good shape, hopefully temporary middle bone as well!
Even with what’s above this doesn’t look good… You know I use to have the same issue… but now I’m taking medicines (perfectionism).

Buy another one from eBay and spray with few layers of clear gloss topcoat. Or better - replace with Greta Thunberg’s photo…
Alternatives are infinite, f.eg. can do one for you from mirror-polished Titanium if you pocket allows. Mental wealth is most imprtant thing these days…

2 Likes

You could try this;
https://www.ehow.com/how_6661222_silver_plate-plastic.html

1 Like

I would buy them straight from a trusted supplier. SNG sells the V-12 emblem for about $35.

I’ve tried to re-paint badges in the past, never works or looks right. Best to be chromed from the factory.

I don’t know what the cost is but there are places that can chrome plastic.
Paul’s chrome is the best known but there are others,

I think I’ll try that approach, Bangdude … (Gregmatic - I agree … I posted sometime back about my attempts to do that with my original “XJS” emblem, by spraying a small “puddle” of “aluminum” Krylon paint in a paper plate and carefully pressing the emblem down into it, like a die. That way the paint only gets onto the surface, leaving the black edges intact, just like with the OEM emblems. After several coats that way and a finishing coat of clear coat, it looked pretty good but still stood out from the other lettering b/c of lack of matching. :frowning_face:)