Boot Lid Seal '38 SS

I washed my '38 SS saloon, going to a cruise-in show today, then found my trunk was all wet.
There is supposed to be a seal but mine is long gone.
Does anyone know what it was like? A picture of the cross section?
There is a lip around the edge, like something could either sit in the channel or fit on the edge lip.
Moss has some cross sections, but they don’t look right for this.

Steele Rubber Products has weatherstrip by the foot in various cross sections.

Hi Rob,

My Mk IVs have this section and I wouldn’t be surprised that it is a match. I would like to renew them but despite its simplicity, I can’t find any supplier or maker.

Have you tried Clarks Rubbers generic seals, or Scotts Old Auto Rubber in Vic ?

Yes, both. Nothing easily adaptable. Scott’s does have an L section but it is proportionally wrong. They have a U section that is tightly closed to fit the flange and has long legs. It might be possible to trim the width of one leg and bend the other side into the channel. That is my next experiment.

Thanks Peter.
I see the 1940 and later Mark IV uses two different items.
Any ideas, were they used together?

This is what I have, a 1/2" high lip all around, not really a channel as most cars have. I think it comes close to the top surface of the lid where the tool tray is.

So I would need something that is glued to the lip and curves or hooks over so it contacts the lid surface.

I don’t know what the two different sections look like. What is ‘sorbo’? Is it a compressible type? I guess that the one listed as ‘rubber’ is a small U section that covered the exposed flange - to protect/cover a harsh edge - and the other was a compressible type sitting in the channel. That is my best guess.

That sounds like a good guess to me.
Sorbo was a closed cell foam rubber from Sorbo Rubber-Sponge Products of Woking Surrey. George W. T. Leeson was the inventor, patent holder and principal owner. They also made golf balls.

Unless somebody comes up with something else, I’m thinking of going with this from Steele.

1 Like

My car has a rubber seal but I’m not sure that it was seriously intended to prevent rain water entry. I think the profile of the metal was designed as a water channel and the rubber was simply added to remove the sharp edge.

Peter