Borg & Beck clutch part number

I read that 9 1/2" clutch conversion is a good move ? Would this come as a 3 piece kit suitable for a 140 conversion ? If so what is the B & B part number ?
Thanks Jim

i did that mod on my 150 & 120. i got the kits supplied by the engine machinest (chesman engineering) they use AP clutches. they then balanced the crank with flywheel clutch etc.

Is it the E Type 4.2 clutch I require ?
Thanks Jim

Hello Jim
Late reply, I am catching up on forum topics.
Now restoring another marque, it is carrying me away from Jaguars.
I did that clutch upgrade on my 140. I would not recommend it.
Fitting a 9.5" diaphragm clutch into an XK is typically a “bad good-idea” because the trouble and expense far exceed the benefits if any.
The diaphragm clutch has a shorter travel than the conventional one. That is why the TO bearing is thicker. But the XK clutch linkage is made for longer disengagement distance. On an XK, whereas full disengagement of the conventional clutch will take 80-90% of pedal travel, it will only take 60-70% of pedal travel with the diaphragm clutch (even with thicker TO bearing).
Symptoms can be misleading. What happens is that, with normal setting of the pedal, you disengage too much on full pedal travel, and the diaphragm pressure plate hits the clutch plate, which will bind and give the impression you cannot declutch.
It otherwise works fine, but requires careful adjustment, with disengagement starting at about 30-40% of pedal travel, so that full disengagement is obtained when the pedal hits the floor.
IMHO, pedal pressure is heavier than with the conventional system and, to take full advantage of the conversion, the operating lever (on the shaft) should be modified and shortened in due proportion with the “unused” pedal travel. Then the pedal pressure should be substantially lighter.
(If this is not clear, I can explain in greater detail if you wish)
After the 140, I restored a 120 and kept the original clutch setup on the 120.
Driving one after the other is like night and day. The 120 clutch is so much smoother and more progressive !
Next time the 140 engine is out for any reason, I will definitely ditch the diaphragm clutch and refit an original one.
HTH
Francis

Thank you Francis
Any other views?
I have already bought a new 9 1/2" clutch. Many people see to like it.
Jim

Jim

If you come to France by any chance (I live north of Paris, right at the end of the A16 Channel tunnel motorway), I will have you drive my two XKs.

This way, you will know exactly what it is all about.

The 140 has a 9.5" diaphragm clutch ; the 120 has a standard 10" clutch.

I am serious and will be glad to spend a “jaguarizing” moment with you.

Best regards

Francis Thibaud

91, rue du Marechal Foch

95620 PARMAIN (France)

Le ven. 5 avr. 2019 à 06:35, Jim XK140 FHC via Jag-lovers Forums noreply@jag-lovers.com a écrit :

Thanks for the generous offer.
I will make an excuse to come to see you.
I will be in touch.
Jim

When you like.

Tell us in advance when you would come.

Best regards

Francis Thibaud

-------- Message d’origine --------