Borg Warner 65 automatic for Mk2

Can anyone advise how a later model BW like the 65 operate in a Mk2?
Would this later trans be a big improvement? Or would a 700R type be better choice?
Thanks for any advice on automatic Mk2 car.
John

My Mk2 still runs a DG250 auto. I quite like the direct drive feature offered by top gear. It’s in good order and recently serviced. Many hate them! A 65 might be nicer to drive - but still only three speeds. If I were ever to change mine it would be to a 700 or similar. Something with an overdrive fourth speed. Paul

One thing I have heard about fitting a GM 700R is that they are four speeds with 4th being an overdrive. When the car shifts into OD 4th with the stock Mark II 3.54:1 final drive the overdrive will cause the engine to bog down a bit. But having said that, the unit is readily available and a known gearbox in most areas.

I have had the John’s Jag 700 in my Mk2 for years and it shifts and drives beautifully. Comfortable on the highway and smooth around town. My entire setup will be available soon as I’m about to convert to stick shift. PM me if interested.

Which manual box are you contemplating?

T5. Have almost all the parts together.

Ok thanks - interested to know how that goes.

Ya, me too :rofl:
I’ll do a new thread when I’m about to start to project

1 Like

theo,
Any bog when going into overdrive with the 700?
Thanks,
John

Paul. I dont know if you are in Sydney, but Dellows Engineering supply parts to fit Toyota boxes to Jags. I fitted a Supra W57 to a V12 many years ago, using Dellows kit

Hi Tony, in Sydney. Thank you for info. That particular project is on the long list! Paul

None that I’ve noticed. If driving around leisurely the shift into 4th is smooth and with a 3.54 rear gear it’s usable in town. If on the gas hard, the engine winds out till more like 2200+ before shifting and so no bog.