Borg Warner DG250 Automatic gearbox should it have an oil cooler?

Hello my MK 2 3.8 has a Borg Warner DG250 automatic gearbox and is on a standard radiator, my question is should it have a radiator with a cooler and cooling pipes going to the transmission, I have looked all over the gearbox and it doesn’t seem like it should have cooler pipes, but a few people are saying this is not correct and should have the pipes connecting to radiator, any advice or pictures showing where pipework goes will be greatly appreciated, regards Paul.

I have just pulled a DG box out of my ‘65 ‘S’ and there are no cooling pipes same with the ‘66’ that I converted to 4sp O/d

i had a 340 back in the day. that had a trans cooler. it was part of the rad. a small section at the base.
the consensus used to be that it is not necessary unless you are towing and stuff.

The torque converter and transmission
assembly employ a cooling system which is entirely independent of the engine
cooling system. Screened openings allow air to enter the housing. A
blower on the torque converter spreads the air over the entire surface of the
converter. It is then expelled through louvers in the converter housing
cover plate.

Mike Eck

New Jersey, USA

www.jaguarclock.com

'51 XK120 OTS, '62 3.8 MK2 MOD, '72 SIII E-Type 2+2

1 Like

Early AMC cars used the same schema.

Thanks for the info, regards Paul.

Thanks Paul, regards Paul.

Thanks for the info Phil, I think the later cars did have a cooler as the box was different, regards Paul.

Hello Robin, that’s kinda what I was wanting to hear as I was hoping it was not something else that has been hacked and messed with! Just out of interest as I am possibly toying with going to manual, what’s involved changing to manual and are the boxes the same from the 2.4 models up to the 3.8 models do you know? Regards Paul.

I’m away from home at present so away from any manuals that ‘might’ help to identify compatibility.

My '63 Mk2 has no external cooling. Just to add one more case study. There, that’s three Pauls in the one short topic. Paul.

The Paul’s have it!!

We’re not sure what “it” is, but…:crazy_face:

Thanks for the info Paul

Thanks robin any help or info would be greatly appreciated, regards Paul

My 240 Auto had cooler pipes in the rad , not sure what box it was but know the 340 had the Model 35 box in it , that had cooler too

Rubber hose end fixed to the rad

Thanks for the info ian, regards Paul