Borg Warner T12 - sensor

Hi Jagies,

One of my Borg Warner T12 gearboxes has a sensor attached. I couldn’t find this part at the usual suspects and do not know if I should move it from one to the other before engine installation.

Thx, Tom

My '72 XJ6 has the same transmission. If I remember correctly the kickdown solenoid is down that side on my car. Flooring the accelerator trips a microswitch that operates the kickdown. I think some models use a cable kickdown. Paul

Hi Tom, as Paul said the BW12 does has a solenoid activated kickdown but in S1 XJ12 they also have a pressure switch that is part of the vacuum retard pollution control system in US cars. This is probably the pressure switch position. The kickdown is closer to the front IIRC.

I don’t know for sure if US S3 E-Types have that same system (maybe this is an XJ12 tranny?) but if you are getting rid of the vac retard stuff you don’t need it. As Paul said you do need the kickdown switch though

~Mike

1 Like

Thanks guys !
The lower tranny is from an US E-Type - the upper from an XJ12 (which also had some pollution control system but without gulp valve … ) but lacking this switch. So I will install without that pressure switch as I don’t install the vac retard stuff in the car with either engine.
The kickdown solenoid is mounted further at the front.
Thx, Tom

I am about to discard a BW model 12 transmission from an xj12. Free to anyone who will come for it. It was removed from an XJ12 in a V8 conversion years ago. I might consider offers for the V12. Located mid way between Atlanta and Charlotte along I85 in SC.
Art