Bosch cap and rotor for 123?

From searching on this forum, I have learned that the cap and rotor on a 123 distributor is replaceable with easy to source Bosch parts, but I can’t find any part numbers.

Does anyone know the part numbers that I can use to source these parts either from a local parts store in the US or online, like Amazon?

Thanks!

Found this info in this online manual: http://123.neortic.org/manualsPDF/123JAG6.pdf

Replace the cap and rotor every 30.000 km.
Here is ordering information :
Bosch cap ref. nrs. : 1.235.522.051 / 1.235.522.060 / 1.235.522.109 / 1.235.522.147
Bosch rotor ref. nr. : 1.234.332.024

The problem is I can’t seem to find these parts in the US by those part numbers. Any ideas?

Also saw a reference to this cap, but not sure if this is correct because it also comes up as a rather odd looking Volvo distributor cap:
BERU Distributor Cap VK102

Would be interested in same - not cheap through 123. Paul

Try searching for the Bosch p/n on https://www.autodoc.co.uk/
“Details” lists cars which it supposedly fits.

Thanks. Don’t much like operating without a spare. Paul

Hi, Use the BERU Distributor Cap VK102. It is original fitted to the 123. SNG sells them separatly in black now.
Greetings Richard

afbeelding

Thanks, will look that up. Always on that site! Paul

Thanks! I didn’t find that cap on their online site, but when I called, they were able to take the order.

FYI, the caps are out of stock right now. Fortunately, that didn’t make a difference for me, because I ordered an entire new 123 to have as a spare, so I will pull the cap off of that one to use right now. The 123’s are in stock. Last year, it took weeks to get a 123, so that’s why I want to have a spare.

I also ordered spare fuel pump, and another coil as spares. The Lucas Sport coil I bought last year around this time and only after 3000 miles has already failed as it was causing a misfire at freeway cruising speeds (3000rpm), so I am using the Lucas Sport (it’s a larger diameter) that came on the car until the new ones come in.

I did the same - ordered a new in tank pump for my 3.8. At some point, I reasoned, they might be harder to come by. As it was I had to wait months until they had a sufficiently big collection of orders to make a “run”.

Breen, which coil are you running with your 123?

SNG said the Lucas Sport coil is different again than the one I bought last year, which was different than the Lucas Sport coil that was on the car when I got it.

It definitely spooks me that a coil could fail so quickly. Just glad it didn’t go out in a way that left us on the side of the road.

Just a thought. Are you sure that you were provided with a coil with the correct internal resistance. A different one is required for cars with a ballast resistor vs. those without. My coil failed early as a result of this error on my part.

I am not sure. I went with the recommendation of SNG because I was buying the disti, plugs, and wires from them at the same time as the coil and asked them to make sure they would work together.

Can you remind me what are the specs for the coil to work the 123? I vaguely remember checking the specs a year ago (which seems so long ago with my less than stellar memory).

I am also not sure if the plugs and the wires are a go match for the 123 and the Lucas Sport coil.

Thanks!

Sorry Philip. Had a senior moment and forgot that you were running a non original set up. (Guess I coud have just reread the subject line,)I am unable to provide you with an answer on the 123 but you may want to check with the supplier of the distributor to get a coil spec recommendation as resistance will still be important to prevent overheating of the coil.

Should have said manufacturer of the 123 not the distributor.

123 is the distributor manufacturer whereas SNG is the distributor distributor…:grin:

-David

Yeah. I could have been a bit more clear. Anyways bottom line is make sure the coil resistance is correct.

It’s starting to come back to me. I do remember checking the specs of the resistance of the coil versus the specs on the distributor, and they were ok. But it is strange to have the coil go out so fast. I will check them again once the new coils get here.

Two cars including my E are running the gold coloured and green labelled Lucas Sports coil. Also run a red Bosch GT40 in our XJ6. They are all several years old and operate well. Paul

I will check the resistance on the E type coil with 123 tonight and advise. I think it is about 3 Ohms - as for the original DMZ distributor. Paul