Bought 85 XJS with body kit

Can anyone identify the kit?

When I bought it the car wouldn’t turn over or go into gear. I fixed both issues within a few days. Just need to install the trans cooler and find a radiator.

The kit on your car is called “poor man’s bumper”. It replaces the original bumper made from metal and rubber. Usually - after full decomposition, to cover other areas from British MOT tester*.
Your one seems to be unique and involves recycled parts from genuine setup…

• Does not apply for export versions

I’m in the United States.

Possibly a Lister kit.

I also think “Lister” kit. It looks nice to me. I like it! It seems to resemble the facelift cars 1994-1996!

Richard

It is a TWR kit with the rocker covers. These are dealer add ons in the same vein as Shelby etc. You may have some other options added as there were quite a few. I actually have a copy of the dealer option list for these items.
I have radiators if you are interested. Contact me off list at sjniznik@msn.com.

1 Like

Thank you! I will email you shortly

Also, is there a way I can get rid of these black bumperettes on the front and rear? I feel like they mess up the lines of the XJS

Under the black rubber cover are the real bumpers, a massive aluminium box section.
It seams to me that it’s a federal car with the extended bumpers?
You could compress the absorbers and that will put the bumpers a couple of cm inwards.

The only thing that looks nice on those bumpers - are black rubber bits.
I have no idea how you can design such piece of rubbish. Probably the idea was to make car from 70s look more ‘modern’. Like square Volvo from those years. Or maybe those days Justin Bieber - Tom Walkinshaw was in a hurry with design… This however, in connection with British simple soloutions - transformed classic shape of the car into car with gutter-made spoilers. Like sticking a DVD into the violin. Like surrounding Buckingham Palace with council’s cluster houses.
The other thing is how can you say that your car looks nice with this type of bumpers/skirts on… Something that transforms your classic car into this:

My advise - just sell it to the people horny having it on their XJS, put genuine bumpers on…

2 Likes

I have a Lister kit and that does not look like the one that I have?

Ok then… you said a whole lot there lol

Pull the bumpers and then the shock absorbers they mount to. Drill a hole in the shock absorber and compress them, reinstall. You will loose an inch to inch and a half of projection. Does look better but you do loose that all important (?) five mile per hour cushion.

Well, we surrounded our capitol with cocnrete blocks and wire fences !!!

Function over class ???