Bought a Daimler Sovereign 1982 any advice on things to look out for I know it’s been stored away for 15 years

Bough a Daimler Sovereign 1982 any advice on things to look out for I know it’s been stored away for 15 years

While it is a Daimler it’s really a 1982 XJ6 underneath so I‘ll move you to that section. Don’t crank the engine right away. Read up on sticking valves. Fuel will be bad, probably. Welcome.

2 Likes

Hi David thanks for the response yes I’ve kind of brought it blind with video inspection,we have a family bodyshop so the paintwork and full repaint won’t be an issue, I’m going to take it round to my mechanic on Tuesday, what are parts like to find I’ve got a fuew sources atm. Any other pointers to look out for ?

Welcome Harley,

if it’s driveable, drive it like any other car to find out about any issues. Series Jaguars are very honest cars - compared to modern ones: as there are no covers underneath they will leave no doubt about any form of leaks of water, oil, fuel, p/s or ATM. Drive the car warm enough, then park it on a clean surface and wait for an hour. Maybe you even put some cardboard underneath or mark the exact position before driving the car away to locate the spots more precisely

Other than that - the car will still drive nicely in all likelihood as series Jags typically don’t “clunk” even if in bad shape. Steering is over-assisted by modern standards, but should be precise, no pulling, dragging, tram-lining if the car has its original footwear (205/70 x 15; 225/65 is still ok, but any modern wheels will change the ride considerably). Make sure the brake pedal remains firm at the stop light, otherwise you’ll be in for an overhaul of the m/c.

As a matter of routine I’d change all water and fuel hoses in the engine compartment. Be very careful though with electrical wires as they tend to become brittle. New brake hoses are cheap insurance as well.

The core question will be rust: check out the inner sills and the A column. On SIII cars all lower windscreen corners are prone to rust through and water ingressing will eventually lead to pretty dramatic damage. Good used hoods, trunk lids, doors and even wings can be had for astonishingly low prices on the internet. Rear quarter panels and valance can likewise be swapped out easily, but the structure of the body offers a good chance to test your skills.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Do not attempt to start it without knowing the condition of the gas. Old gas turns into varnish and will freeze valves in their place - XJ6 is an interference engine and you will end up with bent valves. Fuel system needs to be thoroughly sorted first (fuel pump, fuel filter(s), fuel tank selection and return valves, fuel lines)

1 Like

That is exactly right and it happened to me when I thought I‘d mix in some old petrol to burn it off.
Speaking of burning, ALL the hoses in the engine bay need to be replaced with good quality injection hose. Injection hose clamps with the screw and nut are better than worm clamps and cheap. Hose sizes are 8 mm for everything but the hose to the fuel rail which is 10mm.

Fuel tanks have a drain in the bottom. While drained the senders can be cleaned if they’re stuck and floats drained and resealed.

Oil is 20W50.

The paint might be a thermoplastic acrylic thing that is a little weird so be careful.
On YouTube there is a production video called building the legend.

1 Like

I know it doesn’t start as the breaks are seized to it needed to go on skates once I’ve taken it to the mechanics I’ll tel him about the fuel lines drain the tank etc regarding the breaking system I suppose will need replacing,will need a new battery aswell long term project but I’m excited to get the ball rolling

You’ve taken it to the mechanic? This may not be the right car for you, but you can decide.

I don’t believe these cars are economical unless you fix them yourself. If you have some serious money then I guess it’s OK to go to a mechanic , but I would not suggest jaguar ownership on a limited budget if you aren’t doing the work yourself.

2 Likes

sure John I get that he’s going to get the ball rolling as I’ve got the bodyshop side of things covered, fuel lines suspensions engine rebuild if needed his labour rate are very sensible hence why ive taken the project on