Bought a jag for my Dad

Hi Guys
New to the forum. i am actually addicted to pontiac musclecars, but i am picking up a 69 roadster tomorrow. i helped my Dad restore this car when i was in high school, then helped him sell it to a friend 20 yrs ago. He now wants it back so i made the deal for him. he is excited, and i am challenged because it currently does not run and i guaranteed him i can fix it. :crossed_fingers: we rebuilt engine back then (40 years ago) and i bet it has less than 2000 miles since. carbs were gone through recently and i was told it now has no fuel coming to the carbs, so i will check fuel pump, filter and lines, then go from there.

anyway, i do not know what on-line source to use for parts. Can someone recommend to me 2 or 3 companies that sell parts for 69 jag? i have done an internet search and there are a bunch out there, but as with my pontiacs i am sure some are better than others.

another thought…i have manufacturer’s assembly and service manuals for my pontiacs…is there anything similar for jags? or a good resto guide book?

thanks

William,
Google these suppliers.
XK’s Unlimited - a div of Moss Motors
SNG Barratt’s
Welsh Jaguar
Coventry West
Terry’s Jaguar Parts - a div of Engel Imports

1 Like

You can get a choice of Service Manuals on eBay: e.g

The ultimate book is this one:

or you can buy it from www.XKEbooks.com

Yes. The factory service manual and factory parts book, two separate books. Both essential tools. The originals are vinyl 3 ring binders. Reproductions are softbound, as shown above. I prefer the originals as they lay flat, and the reproductions shrunk the page size. The originals are on eBay regularly. I sold one for $40, so you don’t need to spend a fortune on them, as they are common.

Nice move to get this car for your dad. :+1:

thanks guys
i’m glad to have found an active forum, appreciate the quick replies. the pontiac world has a great forum http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/ which i enjoy and has been very helpful over the years.

i will get the manuals asap and will probably be ordering parts this weekend

thanks again!

Add the needle & seat (valves that the carb floats operate) to that list. They can stick closed.

1 Like

I have a 68 GTO, a 91 TA and a 69 XKE. kindred spirits!

First thing to do is disconnect the fuel line at the carbs, put the end of it into a container and turn the ignition key to the on position. The electric fuel pump tucked into the right side of the trunk should be clicking loudly and fuel should be pouring into the container. No clicks, fuel pump. Lots of clicks, fuel sump. Clicks and fuel, carbs.

2 Likes

The first thing is to find the fuel pump turn the key on and give it the pump a whack with a hammer.

The fuel pump is located at the right rear corner of the car. Pull out the spare and follow the lines up into the fender. Yup…a good whack sometimes all it needs. But not a hammer, maybe a wooden mallet or a 2x4. You wouldn’t want to do any permanent damage.

1 Like

Is non permanent damage okay? :grin: :grin:
Tom

Depends on the size of the dents you leave…

:grinning:

to yard drive…you can gravity feed the carbs. I use a funnel and an assortment of hoses and clamps…taped to the windshield feeding down to the carbs…works
Mitch

thanks for all the replies. i ordered the ‘ultimate’ book off of ebay. towed the car to my garage saturday. i need to get busy on it. i doubt much of anything has been done to it since restoration 40 yrs ago. not restoring it now, but want to make it dependable and safe for my dad to enjoy. he is already enjoying that it is back :grinning:.

and a pontiac pic…or two

2 Likes

(garage envy)…times 20

Is there a ‘Son-of-the-Year’ award? I think you’d be a shoo-in.

just trying to make up for all the grief i gave my dad in my younger years…

1 Like