Brake accumulator - just in case smgdata doesn't post on this forum

Breaking news:

Amazon has new Bosch accumulators for $80 - tested and working fine on 40’s and XJS …from info posted by smgdata on another forum.

here:

Larry, that’s a great news, thank you. The price is even lower than when I bought mine years ago.

1 Like

This one is for 1990 and newer, correct, not for 88/89? Or it maybe fits 88/89?

Looks like a big difference in size compared to my 89, I’m still looking.

Yes, there is difference in size, but it is not as big in reality, it’s just the angle of the photo.

On Girling system (1988-1989), the accumulator JLM10546 or JLM11659 is (rounded a bit):

• volume: 0.3 L (18 cu in)
  • max pressure: 160 bar (2300 psi)
  • thread: 16 x 1.5 mm
  • diameter: 92 mm (3.6")
  • length (without thread): 100 mm (4") (just the sphere: 92 mm)

On Teves system (1990-1994) the accumulator JLM1907 is (rounded a bit):

• volume: 0.25 L (15 cu in)
  • max pressure: 210 bar (3000 psi)
  • thread: 14 x 1.5 mm
  • diameter: 84 mm (3.3")
  • length (without thread): 104 mm (4") (just the sphere: 87 mm)

Functionally, Teves system accumulator should work, since it can take bigger pressure, so safety is OK, and the volume is just a bit, under 10% smaller, so you’d get, say 27 presses on the brake instead of 30 from it. However, the thread is smaller so you’ll need 14-to-16 mm adapter, and the sphere diameter is a bit smaller, and you’ll need some sort of buffer around it so the strap would hold it.

There are many of those accumulator spheres out there since many cars use them - Buick Grand Natl and Reatta, Ford Thunderbird, Chrysler TC, Lincoln Mk VII, Mercury Cougar, some SAABs, Land Rover Range Rover, Mercedes, many BMWs, Mitsubishi Montero… All we need is one with correct thread (16 x 1.5 mm), with at least 150 bar rating, and in the wider neighborhood of 0.3 L volume. I am looking through what is on the market, but I am having hard time finding data for those. ACDelco makes them for GM, but I can’t find a catalog. If anyone identifies a candidate, post!