Brake Bleeding Conundrum

I’ll try to keep this efficient and fact-based, but there is a lot of info… At the moment I am stumped…

You may recall that two years ago I ditched my Teves III ABS and installed a jag master cylinder, mitsubishi reservoir, and an aftermarket vac booster. (Because I kept the Teves pedal box and the jag booster wouldn’t clear.) I recall a bit of challenge bleeding the brakes at that time, but eventually I used a pressure bleeder and got it done.

Everything was great for almost two years, the car had a good pedal and the brakes worked just fine. About a month ago, the vac booster failed. It was a bit of a shocker when I had “no brakes” but of course what I had was very stiff un-boosted brakes. I drove the car the rest of the way to work and home again at the end of the day, no issues except my leg was tired.

Setting up to replace the vac booster, I had the car in the air and was inspecting everything. I found a leak on the left front caliper. The calipers are original, and since I was gonna have the master cylinder off anyway, I figured no time like the present. I installed reman Raybestos calipers and front brake lines from Rock Auto, and new ceramic pads. Everything fit, no drama.

During this process the front half of the system was completely dry. I flushed out the hard lines with brake cleaner and compressed air since god knows what’s in there after 34 years. I dried them out thoroughly.

I did some research, and instead of purchasing another Summit-branded universal booster, I ordered a universal booster from Master Power Brakes. They claim to be of higher quality. Plus, it’s chrome, so that’s worth 10 hp at least.

Got the new booster in and properly set the clearance to the MC so there is minimal free travel in the pedal before the booster engages the MC. ( This is done via a bolt and locking nut on the front booster rod. Not sure if the Jag booster has this adjustment, but many OEM and aftermarket do. Only mention it in case you are unfamiliar.)

I bought an extra Mitsubishi reservoir cap, drilled it and installed a barb for my Motive pressure bleeder, so I get a good seal with no worries about spraying brake fluid all over.

Assembled, filled, did initial leak check. All good. Using fresh Prestone DOT 3.

Ran a bunch of fluid thru using the pressure bleeder, and finally got a hard pedal. Tiny bit of free travel, then first 1/4 travel is progressively stiffer, then very firm by half way. Seems ok. Started the car to get some vacuum and the pedal is of course much softer, but has same engagement feel. Here’s the rub: If I push pretty hard, I can bottom out the master cylinder. It takes a pretty hard push, but I can do it. I tried with engine off and same thing, but I REALLY have to push to hit bottom. This does not seem OK to me. But I don’t know that I’ve ever tried it before.

On a test drive, it will lock up the rears, but I can’t quite make it lock up the fronts. Not ideal.
I think that on a non-ABS car I should be able to lock up all four wheels if I stomp it hard enough. I did this test after the Teves swap out and could lock up all four, in fact the fronts locked first, which is good. I need to repeat this test to be sure, only did two quick ones from 40 mph.

Here is what I have done:

• Elevate reservoir to make sure nothing is trapped in the feeder hoses to the master cylinder
  • Using the pressure bleeder, crack the fittings at the master cylinder to bleed any air that might be right at the MC.

• Repeat above using the press pedal hold crack bleeder method.
  • Run several quarts through the system with the pressure bleeder. Not getting any bubbles at any corner.
  • Bleed using the conventional method with the bleed tube in a clean container of fluid, a short vertical loop in the tub so the air goes up, press, crack bleeder, hold pedal to floor, close bleeder. Repeat 5 times on each corner. No air.

Here’s the setup. Pressure bleeder is pumped and bleeder is open. No air. Let it run for 3-4 minutes. No air.

The catch can is sitting on this block, so it’s up by the caliper and the bleed hose loop is above the bleed fitting.

• Checked pedal travel for slack in linkage. The front discs start to engage (to the point where I cannot turn the rotor by hand) almost right away, within less than an inch of pedal travel. So my booster to master cylinder adjustment seems good.
  • Removed MC from booster, and checked pedal travel. The pedal goes a good inch farther down than with the MC on the booster. I believe this tells me that my linkage is not binding, I am not bottoming in the pedal box or on the floor of the car, I believe I am bottoming the master cylinder.
  • Confirmed that front caliper part numbers are the same for ABS and non-ABS cars (getting desperate here…)
  • If hold the pedal at the bottom, which takes a whole ton of effort, the force never changes. The master cylinder does not seem to be bleeding down or letting fluid past.

Open to suggestions, I guess my first question is: under extreme braking, is hitting the bottom of the master cylinder normal/acceptable? I would say no. But as I said, I don’t know that I’ve ever actually tried it. Second question, if no, what am I missing in my setup / bleed approach. As I say, the pedal actually feels fine. It just bugs me that if I go ape on it, I can force it to the bottom.

I would agree. It doesn’t sound right.

My intial gut reaction is that you have a geometry problem of some sort.

A deeper reading of your post and more mulling required.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Another thought before I begin Sunday chores.

Did the pads come with bedding-in instructions? Sometimes non-bedded pads will lack grip.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

WRT the not locking front wheels two things spring to mind first as Doug says new pads may need bedding in, some take a lot longer than other brands, second those rotors are quite grooved by the looks of the photo, that is another reason for not locking, until the pads have taken the profile of the rotor theres nowhere near 100% pad engagement.
Sorry no idea on the pedal problem.

1 Like

Good thoughts @Doug_Dwyer and @Robin_O_Connor. I am going to drive the car for a couple weeks and see what I think.

Doug, regarding the geometry. I am sure you know all this but let me think out loud for a bit… pretend we are having a beer and I am pontificating… sometimes it helps me. Sometimes the pontificating helps too. If things had not been (I think) fine for the previous two years I would agree. The Teves pedal box has a higher pedal ratio than the non-ABS pedal box. The actuator rod for the booster is closer to the pivot on the Teves box. This means I can place more force on the MC than I could with a non-ABS box, and the pedal travel will be longer to move the MC a given distance. Neither has been a problem previously.

In my thick head it just seems that once the fill port in the MC closes, that is, the piston moves past the fill port that connects to the reservoir, the system is “sealed” and we are compressing fluid. Which of course doesn’t compress, which is why hydraulics is a thing… It bugs me that I can generate enough force to “compress” the fluid into the end of the MC and the lines. The typical answer would be that we are compressing air, but I am pretty damn sure I got all the air out. I have even wondered if the new brake lines could be “soft” and are expanding.

I had not thought of bedding the pads, and good point on the grooves. I am going to drive the car and “brake” things in a bit.

Please keep the ideas coming!

Personally I would either machine the rotors or replace depending on the thickness they currently are.

That’s been on the to do list… maybe I need to move it up a few spots.

FWIW, I agree with Robin.

1 Like

Your opinion is worth a lot with me, Dave, and I agree. Those rotors aren’t helping my stopping power. I just took the car for a bit of a spirited drive, enough to where I can smell brakes, and it doesn’t feel any different than it did before all this. So I’m starting to think I’m fine, just inventing things to worry about.

I do like the chrome booster…

I dunno if it’s the light in the photo or what but the grooves in the bottom half of those rotors look beyond resurfacing, might just go ahead and throw a new set on for better thickness and stopping power.

The photo makes them look worse than they are, the majority of them are less than a fingernail. But I would probably just replace them, unless they’re hard to get I typically don’t mess with resurfacing rotors. I’ve had bad experiences with them getting thin and warping.

Did you replace rubber brake lines to front calipers? Old ones could be swelling?

Replaced. 10 chars.

Probably a nothing but. Wheel bearings all good? I just ran into this issue with a different repair. All seemed fine good pedal (bleed till no brake fluid in county) but every now and again longer travel of pedal than expected. In my instance front wheel bearings were worn just enough to allow rotor to move front pads. And I swear you could not feel any driving difference (in normal commuting driving). If rotor is not true it will slowly move pads out. On application of pedal, it will be long and unnerving. Apon second application all good.

What type of hose did you use to connect the remote reservoir to the master cylinder?

I recall years ago using just I think gas line. The brake fluid turned into a black slime by dissolving that hose a little bit, which was not visible in the remote reservoir, but I definitely saw it inside the master cylinder later.

I’m just trying to imagine what could cause some slippage past the master cylinder, seal and allow you to bottom it out.

Good point. Brake fluid hose from Wilwood. Sold to connect their reservoirs to their MCs.

I’m just making stuff up here but…. In your original post you know that your brake booster was failing and that made the brakes very very hard. Is there a way to disconnect your new brake booster and verify the brakes are very very hard now? I can’t imagine a logical reason the brake booster would cause your problem, but it seems we’re beyond obvious reasons here. I don’t know if brakes could be “over” boosted and cause the sensation you’re experiencing.

1 Like

Well - that’s basically the pedal feel with the car not running. Yes, it is a very hard pedal, which is what I’d expect… but you got me thinking…

So… reading through all of the above (thanks!) here is my working theory. Keeping in mind that the car stops just fine, does not take excessive effort to stop, and the pedal feels much like it has since I ditched the ABS. Pedal feel is very consistent. @nib I think the bearings are fine… no slop, no noise, rotors feel perfectly smooth when I turn them. I will confirm when I do the rotors.

Q: Why won’t the car lock the front brakes?
A: Because I am using brand new pads on grooved rotors. When I tested the brakes weren’t even warmed up. Back when I did the ABS removal and tested lock up last time (2 years ago) I had the same pads I’d had for several years. They were well bedded and matched to the rotors. I think when I either get around to replacing the rotors (and the pads again, since these will be grooved) OR just wait for these pads to groove to match the rotors, the fronts will lock up as expected.

Q: Why can I “force” the master cylinder to bottom out?
A: I don’t have any evidence that this is new behavior. I never tried it before on any non-ABS vehicle. I’ve done it with ABS vehicles, but that’s different. I am curious if anyone else has done this with non-ABS. I think this is the result of the Teves pedal box ratio being greater than the non-ABS pedal box ratio. I am a pretty big guy and I spend a lot of time on the mountain bike, so I can push maybe a little harder than the next guy. Couple that with the mechanical advantage of the Teves box and the MC can be forced to the bottom.

I don’t think there is any leakage in the MC because the pedal is very consistent. Even when I try to hold it all the way down for a minute it pushes back with the same force. It’s not like I push hard and it slowly goes to the bottom. I force it down and it fights me the whole way.

I will drive the car regularly in the next couple of weeks and monitor everything closely. I’ll report back if I have any new discoveries.

Thanks for all the ideas and brainstorming!

Bob

Is whatever type of proportioning valve required for the non-abs master cylinder in place?
I assume the master cylinder is for an XJS with the same kind of caliper piston sizes?
Rubber brake lines swelling? If you have a lot of boost assist I’ve seen hoses swell and take
up a ton of pedal.

Agree on the rotors/bedding.