Brake caliper rebuild

Hmm, maybe vapor blasting is the wrong expression ? He uses high pressure water and even does paint stripping with his equipment. But it is non abrasive for metal if that is what you mean ?

Hello Tom,
Vapor Blasting is another name for Wet Abrasive Blasting, also known as Aqua Blasting and it will clean parts in the same manner as dry media blasting. It’s similar to dry media, blasting, except that the blast media is moistened prior to impacting the surface. There is no advantage using the Vapor Blasting process over Dry Media Blasting of a brake caliper. Its a robust part that will not be prone to distortion and has a rough cast surface finish.

You have to pay particular attention to removing all blasting media from the caliper post blasting, as the most infinitesimal amount left has the potential of embedding in the seal and scoring the pistons. Cleaning the abrasive media from the caliper and being sure none remains is much easier with the calipers in two halves.

Whether the condition of the pistons is as bad as shown in your earlier Post, or only slightly marked, would result in replacing the pistons. It is very common to replace the pistons when reconditioning brake calipers.

If a time factor is influencing your decision to buy a new set of calipers, having to replace the pistons with new will not prolong the exercise, other than the time taken to procure the new pistons. As you will/should be getting new seals, the pistons would be purchased at the same time (they are showing as being stocked by the usual suppliers) and therefore, no increase in down time.

Regards,

Bill

Tom

Yeah – I think we are combating semantics. What I understand vapor blasting/vapor honing/ dustless blasting/other similar names to be is “soft” such that the process can not remove paint. It is similar the media blasting with compressed air (“my” vapor blasting carries the media in water so requires higher pressures). when I was looking for a vapor blaster in C Springs, I found 2-3 outfits who cleaned industrial machines, bridges and graffiti off buildings – so maybe degree is in play as well. If your guy can strip paint with his system it seems we have the same name being applied to different processes.

Sorry for any confusion/concern.

Craig

Hello Craig,
Its the same process in all examples, just different media to suit the application. Glass Bead Media is less aggressive than Garnet and results in quite a pleasing satin finish, nowhere near as dull as Dry Sand Blasting with Garnet, Vapor/Aqua Blasting with Glass Bead Media will most definitely remove paint. I doubt that Soda could be used as a Blasting Media. Notwithstanding that its being picked up by the Water/Air flow immediately before hitting the workpiece, I’d say it would be devolved and have no effect, other than to inhibit rust on ferrous material for a short time.

Regards,

Bill

Well the guy who cleaned my engine parts uses water only without any “hard” medium. He has a huge Atlas Copco compressor with different nozzles for different purposes. He said that it was the best method to paint strip even complete body shells as no sand etc. remains and using chemicals showed problems after years. When my Jag is on the road again I will ask him to take of all the existing undercoating (with the appropriate nozzle :smiley: ) and want to use wax instead.