Brake disc/hub replacement parts?

visually no wear on rotor, no ridge just surface rust. I bought new splined hubs since “i was in the neighbourhood”.

Should I just clean these up with a rice krispie pad and not replace? Are replacements of adequate quality? Rock Auto is cheaper. SNG has two different kinds. Is one better than the other?

Having them cut around here is almost as expensive as buying new ones so no one does it anymore.

The photo seems to indicate wear judging from the step near the center. New ones are less than 30 bucks and work fine. These aren’t turnable. I once brought a pair into a shop to be turned and they refused based on the wear tolerance engraved in the rim. I couldn’t be bothered with these to save that small amount of money.

Generally, you cannot lathe them: they almost always end up under min thickness, and can then warp pretty fast. From my Eyecrometer© they already look pretty thin, perhaps even look like they’ve been cut, already.

Whomever has the least expensive ones, that’s where ya head! I got the slotted/drilled ones, not because they work better, they were CHEAP.

If you use the rusty ones, make sure to clean off all rust twixt the hub and rotor: even the smallest bit can cause sensible rotor wobble.

And look much cooler😎

Bill,

FWIW I’d toss those discs. The surface under the rust looks pitted and grooved. If I recall correctly, the S1 discs are only 3/8" thick, so they can’t be turned. New ones are cheap, and your life is worth more than that…

-David

1 Like

To some, an important detail: Im a ‘form follows function’ kinda dood!

Rotor measures .3451 inches after cleaning a patch.

no detectable ridge.

That isn’t going to help acceleration.

Take a while to get them up to temperature too…

But on the flip side they’ll last for centuries.

2 Likes

I guess that should be 0.345 inches.

1 Like

If it isn’t then that would mean that the caliper is about 9", and @BillJag has enormous hands.

yah. Broke one of my rules about adding stuff up in my head.

no complaints…\0

0.375” is standard: can try them and see how long they last.