Brake fluid change on 1995 XJS

I have a '97 XJ6 and a '95 XJS. Manual says to change brake fluid on the 6 every two years but I can’t find that direction for the S. Anyone know if its the same for both cars.
PS. just got the XJ6 with only 23,000 miles and its show quality.
Ed Barry, NJ

Every 2 years is the industry standard but the purchase of a cheap tester removes the guess work.

If you are driving hard and often 2 years could make sense.
I don’t usually do either.
I change mine about every 5 years or any time I change pads.
There will be many older cars driving around with fluid never been changed for well over 10 years.

1 Like

Hi Ed, I change my Jags(3) every 3 years, but it depends on how dry your climate is and if you put a lot of miles on it. Classicshowcase has a BRG XJ6 for sale with 20K miles on it, he wanted 40K last time I checked.
Regards,
Allen

I recently purchased one of these inexpensive (less than $10 US) brake fluid water testers on eBay while I was working on the ABS in my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible. I tested the brake fluid in a brand new bottle of brake fluid and it tested at the first green light or 0% water level. Then I tested two of my Jaguars that I recently bled the brake fluid on, including my wife’s XJ-S convertible, and they tested at the first yellow light or less than 1% water l9evel. When I tested my remaining 3 driveable Jaguars they were in the 3%, 4%, or higher levels. I plan to bleed the brakes in 2 of them in the near future, since it has been a while, the fluid is dark, and the tester confirms that water is present. Brake fluid is relatively cheap when compared to brake repairs. I also have a lift and a lovely assistant well versed in bleeding brakes. :wink:
I realize that opinions on the need for a brake fluid tester like this one will range from “complete waste of money” to “greatest thing since sliced bread”. However I thought others might like to know that they exist, they appear to work, and at less than $10 US it might be a worthwhile tool to own and use.

Of course there is no reasonable way to verify the calibration of this brake fluid water tester, but the results that I got while testing 5 of my Jaguars appeared to make sense. So I plan to use this new tool to determine when it is time for me to bleed the brakes in our cars.

BTW, I have no affiliation with the manufacturer of this device or anyone selling them on eBay.

Paul

1 Like

On my personal and customers’ cars, I made it an every 2-year maintenance item: it’s fast, cheap, and foolproof.

On race cars, I did it EVERY event.

I tend toward just doing it and feeling content it has bench done. I somehow assume you were not the last person to change the fluid. I managed to boil the brake fluid on myself once during a rather spirited drive down a mountain and now change the fluid at the start of the season when the Jag comes out.

1 Like