Brake fluid sensor cork

Have read many posts about replacing the corks in the brake reservoirs. I have mine apart but can’t devise a method to remove the old cork and still be able to retain the new cork. The bottom of the rod has a small washer that holds the cork and the rod is staked to retain the washer and cork. I can’t pry the washer off. I could grind off the staked end, but how would I retain the new cork? Not sure I have a method to re-stake the rod. I know there is a simple answer since so many do this, but it is out of reach in my brain!

Yes grind off the end of the rod, when reinstalling in the new cork, just make the cork slightly shorter so the rod sticks through a new close fitting washer. Then use a vice or vice grip pliers to smash the end of the wire so it won’t pull through the cork. If the wire is a friction fit in your new cork, then you may not need to stake it.

1 Like

I did it and I think I recall how. I believe I un-staked the end of the rod with a tap from a hammer as it was resting on a metal surface (the anvil on the back of a bench vise). This relieved the staking enough to wiggle the washer off, then I re-staked the rod when everything was assembled.

1 Like

Thanks all. Sitting here thinking while I was trimming the wine corks, it crossed my mind to make sure they are tight on the rod and try crimping and let it go at that. I just didn’t thing vice grips would do it since I had tried to pinch the stakes on the large side to try and make them “more” round in order to get the washer off but couldn’t manage to do that. Also, I will try first to use the hammer and vice to see if I can reduce the stake. One way or another I will get it. :thinking: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’ve never tried it, but wouldn’t a drop of super glue work? Acetone dissolves cyanoacrylate; I don’t know if brake fluid would. It would be easy enough to test by gluing the cork on with super glue and then leaving it immersed in some brake fluid for a few days.

Friction is enough to hold it. It’s not like it’s going to fall off the end of the rod: the fluid is always pushing the cork up.

That was my thinking. The cork would float and be pushing up!

I smeared a bit of superglue over a hairline crack in a brake bottle when I had the 2+2. I figured what the heck, nothing to lose and everything to gain. The bottle never leaked again in the years I owned the car.

I’ve got to replace one of my corks so I’ll just use a cork from a wine bottle. Unfortunately, the aluminum tube has completely disintegrated on one of my reservoirs.

What’s the point of the aluminum tube? Can I just roll without it?

Second question
My new reservoirs don’t have a mesh filter in the bottom. I can’t imagine fitting one either. Any ideas?

Thanks

Regarding the brake bottles \ reservoirs - the filters are pre-installed on the bottles that come with them.

If you have new fluid reservoirs with no filters and lettering on only two sides - beware that these could be the low-end reproduction bottles that are very likely to start leaking within a few weeks on installation (especially if you are driving and using the car during that period.)

One mark of the better quality bottles (at least as sold by SNG Barratt) have the filters and lettering on all four sides. They are much closer in appearance to the OEM reservoirs.

Dave

I used a plastic wine bottle cork after testing that brake fluid did not dissolve it.

Dennis
69 OTS

Anybody know what the aluminum tube is for?

Likely to protect the float mechanism.

That’s what I was thinking or is it to dampen the cork movement so light on the dash doesn’t flicker.

Anyway, no one sells just the tube - at least that I’ve found. I don’t want to buy a new lid/float because too many parts I’ve bought already are just junk.

Any suggestions? I think I’ll measure my beach chair.

Looks to me like the aluminum tube just keeps the fluid from sloshing around and, as you say, dampening the cork movement on fast turns and stops.

I drove many thousands of miles with one of the aluminum tubes missing and noted no issues. I (like most owners I suppose) keep the reservoirs topped up. If they were somewhat low having no tube might cause ‘false positives’.

I would not use the system without those little filters though. Both the cork and the aluminum can deteriorate and that filter can greatly limit the work required should that occur.

Hi Russell,

I replaced mine more than 10 years ago with a plastic wine cork. It still has the ink print on it, no deterioration at all.

I drilled a hole through the cork for the wire shaft, then I used a sharp knife to slit the cork down to the hole. With the slit, I slipped the cork onto the wire. It is held only by friction.

Regards,
Clive.

I think I’ll just clean up the old bottles and use them.

When disassembling my brake bottles last year, I discovered my father had made a replacement tube from some rivets and sheet metal -

Looks FINE. (Functional, If Not Elegant)

My aluminum tubes have long gone so I don’t even use them. I use a wine cork but I coat it with clear finger nail polish after installing it on the rod. Keeps it from absorbing the brake fluid so fast. Now they last a couple years before I need to replace them.