Brake Line Help

My 69 FHC is mechanically reassembled from front to rear EXCEPT the brake Servo and Master Cyl. The rear brake lines and front lines all installed but not connected to the Servo etc. I have included 3 pics. 1) the blurry one, is the Servo main line input that comes from the Master. 2) my original brake line that goes from the master to the Servo input. ** both end fittings are the same on this line! 3.) the Master Cyl “OUT” fitting that goes to the Servo. As is obvious, this NEW “out” BANJO style fitting on the NEW Master requires a female fitting coming from the side vs. my original male fitting that comes from the top, straight downwards. The other banjo fitting is obscured by black tape to protect it from dust, etc.

I would prefer to use the original line but I am not familiar enough with brake fitting names to know what to look/ask for to replace the one in the new master cyl. if I need to. Also, unlike all the other lines, I am not sure the size of the line which is larger than all the other lines. Not sure if it’s 1/4 or 5/16?

I hope i have explained this properly…

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Mark

Use your old fittings and your old lines will fit.

That’s my problem, I don;t have the original fitting to replace the new one that came with the Master!! I can’t find one on any of the usual sites and don’t know the technical specs of it to order from a brake line co., etc!

That was an obvious response! I should have clarified that in my post!!!

Mark

1 Like

Have you talked to SNG or one of the other suppliers? SNG has pics of brake components that you can select from. Likely the others have similar setups.

OK, everything I’m getting ready to say is based on my 67 Series 1 but there should be similarities. Terminology- Master cylilnder: on top with the plastic reaction valve on its end. Slave cylinder: on the bottom with the large booster (~12" dia.) attached.
Banjo/barb fittings: there is one on each cylinder. These accept rubber hoses that go to the two fluid bottles.
So in general, depending on the manufacturer, the master and slave may have large threaded female openings such as the one you show with the banjo/barb fitting or they may have small threaded female openings, ready to accept a male brake line fitting. The large openings can be converted to a brake line fitting opening with an adapter fitting. My car has a combination. On my master, there are 2 large openings. One uses an adapter to allow it to connect up to the metal brake line. That line is ~1/4" OD and goes down to the slave. It is the only line in the area that is that size. All the others are ~3/16" ID. In general, on the master, the barb fitting for the fluid bottle hose is the connection neareast the firewall. On my slave, there are 4 connections. The one closest to the firewall does not use a adapter. It is sized to connect to the 1/4" OD brake line, that goes to the master. Next forward is the 3/16" line to the front brakes. It does not use a adapter. Next forward is the banjo/barb fitting. It does not need a adapter. The front opening has a adapter and is sized for a 3/16" brake line leading to the rear brakes.

What you may be running into is that the particular mfg of your master or slave may have specified the use of adapters in more openings than original. Adapters are nice in that they give the mfg some freedom to fit the part to different cars with different size brake lines. I also like adapters because if you strip the threads or damage the “seat” for the brake lines, you can just replace the adapter for $20.

FYI I have just that scenario (leaky seats) on my car and have an order in to SNG for replacement adapters. They are backordered right now. But if you call them and ask them to refer to my order, that will get you started with the P/N that will work on my Series 1 car, for the larger 1/4" line. Starting at that point, they should be able to steer you to what you need.

Also FYI I got my brake lines in stainless from Classic Tube. In retrospect I would probably stick with the OEM regular steel lines. The Classic Tube lines are pre-formed and in general fit very well. But in the few places where they needed to be tweaked they were very hard to adjust. And I also think they may be the genesis of my leaky “seats”.

Good luck, hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi Mark, When you fix the BRAKES , you have to be so dead sure its correct.With the variety of fittings used in factory and other PO activities. I strongly urge you to get help from a someone who has actually had a hands on experience with the brake systems. You might be able to locate that person via this web site . I appreciate your desire to do it yourself, but asking for personal help on site is excellent insurance.Please dont take my comments as an insult…it is is no way intended .

Looks like I can get the part from XK. It’s a listed adapter for the Master so it should be fine.

Mark