Brake Master Cylinder priming MK2

Sorry for bringing up this old topic one again, but while I appreciate the idea of priming as a means to remove air from the master cylinder before installation, I cannot see how all the prime is maintained as the cylinder is put in place. Some air must be present after installation I think.

Initially, on the bench, you can contrive to achieve a full prime and then install blank plugs to hold the fluid inside the cylinder. However during installation some fluid would leak out of the output port during the connection process, thus allowing air to enter at the top of the vertically oriented cylinder, so defeating some of the priming. The fluid left will be that up to the level of the outlet port - maybe that’s enough to do some good?

Perhaps all that is needed on the bench is to set the cylinder vertically, backfill through the outlet port until fluid appears at the inlet port and then remove the outlet fitting when fluid will seep out for a while. Then do the install.

Agreed there will be less air than if no priming were done but it is by no means a slam dunk (and I doubt Jaguar did this in production - far too complicated and potentially messy I would say.

Nevertheless I am going to try it during my upcoming fitting of a new master cylinder.

My situation is that the first pedal application is long and the subsequent ones are short. I have done multiple bleeds using three different techniques, and I am absolutely convinced there is no air in my system so I suspect that the inlet valve in the master cylinder is not closing as promptly as it should when the pedal is first depressed.

We shall see.

Hi. As far as I know there is no “inlet valve” in the MC. Ports get covered/uncovered as the pedal gets depressed & released.
The Mk 2 system is a little complicated. I removed the “anticreep” valve from the passenger side rail under the car. Have you checked the vacuum booster hydraulics? Are you losing any fluid? what kind of shape are the wheel units in? are all 4 wheels actuating (assuming you have any pedal at all? I spent a month on mine before I found a blockage in the vacuum slave cyl - I was getting pedal on the 1st stroke, then none. Well, good luck, be patient and systematic. David

ukdavo
David
FYI, there IS an inlet valve in the MC. It is actuated by a rod inside the piston.The valve is closed just as soon as the the piston starts to move. It stops fluid flowing back into the reservoir so that pressure can be built up to operate the brakes. It is only open when the pedal is released thus allowing connection between the reservoir and the cylinder for replenishment purposes.
Hence if the valve does not operate properly there will be a backflow into the reservoir and a delay in pressure build up.

Bruce

Bruce; you are absolutely right. I was remembering the vac assist “slave” on mine. I must have bought a complete MC, 'cause I don’t remember taking mine apart & seeing that valve. Good luck, David