Brake Pad Wear Sensors?

I was looking at brake parts earlier tonight on Ebay and, for parts “compatible with (my) '94 4.0”, it came up with a listing for brake pad wear sensors (pair). :flushed: I double-checked it with the seller’s fitment guide, and it indeed showed they were a match for my cat.

WTH? I never heard the face-lifts (or any XJS models, for that matter) came with such sensors. Also, the brake warning lights on my '94 are supposedly triggered by conditions resulting from the hydraulic system (e.g. low fluid level, pressure, etc.), not physical wear. Is the listing erroneous or am I? :confused:

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr … anyone? :slightly_frowning_face:

I have not seen any that came with the ringers but they might be available from the after market. There is absolutely no reason why they couldn’t be available.

Steve is correct that the pads used on the facelift XJS (I am assuming you talk about rear) could have been used on another car, hence the sensors. I am looking on another site and see BOSCH BP517 listed as a rear pad for the XJS, XJ12 and they do seem to have wear sensors.

Also, what’s happening often is that the “compatibility chart” is wrong. The guides on ebay are notorious for mistakes of this type.

I don’t think he’s talking about the ringers. I think he’s talking about actual electrical sensors.

Yep. Well, if there are actual sensors I’m wondering what warning light would be triggered when the pads get low. IIRC, we only have lights for low brake fluid pressure and when the ABS system goes amok. :confused:

You could very well connect the break pads sensors in parallel with the low brake fluid indicator.
And the way you could tell the difference would be that with low fluid the indicator would light more or less continuously, but with worn pads it would light when ever you press on the brakes and the sensors contact the discs.

Aristides

1 Like

The only brake pad wear sensors that I am aware of are mechanical and audible. Not to me, but others!!,

A curled edge of the steel backing. As the “soft” part wears down, the steel edge contacts the rotor. Result, a “chalk board like squeal” on braking!! Been there done that, in my 88 tbird…

Carl

That’s how the pad sensors work on the Crossfire that we have , the light comes on when brakes are applied goes off when take foot off the pedal.

LOL Carl … :laughing:

DBC6595

Part suitable for use in XJ6 (2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 4.0) from (V)500001 to (V)667828, XJ6 & XJ12 from (V)667829 to (V)708757, XJ6 & XJ12 from (V)667829 to (V)708757 - Canada/USA models.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/part/DBC6595

“Part 0 in the illustration.”?

Part suitable for use. I am not aware of any wear pad sensors fitted on Jaguar cars from the same vintage, but apparently the company left the door open for upgrades.

Google the part number. Even AutoZone has them. Two wires…