Brake rotors and pads to avoid?

Found rotors on sale at a US vendor. Any recommendations good or bad on recently installed rotors?
Thinking of using greenstuff pads. Comments?
I have an S2, street use only. Thanks

Green stuff, not recommended for street. It has to be hot, to get a good bite. Fine for track, but can bite you on the street.

Hadn’t heard that. I have greenstuff pads front and rear and haven’t experienced anything unusual in normal street use.

May be a different green stuff, to what I used back in the day.

Then, you had to get the pads/rotors good and warm, to brake properly.

I used them on my race car, and had to heat the brakes up on the pace lap, to get them up to temperature.

I suspect there may have been a change in pad material.

I tried some “hyper-ceramic” pads from Disc Italia. they put out about 1/4 of the dust, but I swear they squealed even if I stepped on the brakes while stopped. horrible. went back to standard semi metallics.

EBC makes a race pad they call orangestuff. Paul, maybe that’s what you used?
I’m looking for a street pad with a high coefficient of friction. That’s how I came to greenstuff.

EBC greenstuff is the basic road pad, too soft and too much dust.
On my E and XK8 I am using EBC redstuff. Excellent braking for road use and far less dust. The EBC pads come with a sand paper finish that takes the glaze off of rotors.
Glenn

Originally I used a Kevlar based pad. All the bite of normal pads, none of the dust. Don’t recall the brand. I now have greenstuff pads. Good grip on the rotors, can be a bit noisy when cold.

I may change back to Kevlar as I like my wheels to stay clean.

How kind or unkind are those to the rotors?

When I was replacing my front brakes with Wilwood vented discs I went through the same process. If you search for greenstuff in the archives you’ll find lots of info. Based upon what I read, I decided on greenstuff. If I recall correctly it’s redstuff that is for track use.

In removing calipers on my S1, last week, the metal backing came off one of the pads. Luckily I have a set of NOS Dunlop pads I can draw from. May not be as good as today’s, but I won’t loose any points at the Concourse! :joy::joy::joy:

I just received a pair of front rotors ( C27024 ) from XKS/Moss. they are identical to a set I bought from SNG about 6 years ago. at the sale price its hard to beat. Sadly finding a shop to turn old rotors these days is almost impossible. I guess its because rotors are ridiculously cheap in the grand scheme of car parts.

Hmmmm. I’m now confused. EBC greenstuff pads are low dust / Kevlar pads.
As for their effect on the rotors the are very kind. The pad formulation is low metal, and it is the metal content that wears the rotor hardest. After 55,000 miles the rotors showed no measurable wear. Now that might be because I’m a pussy cat with the throttle and with the brakes. I’m now using vented rotors originally designed for a BMW, and Zeus calipers with standard (greenstuff) pads.

Thanks. That is exactly the input I was looking for.

That sand paper finish is dual-purpose. Yes, it “conditions” the rotor, but their break-in procedure is also VERY conservative…as in, only light applications for the first 50 miles, and no hard stops in the first 200-300 miles. So, they want the coefficient of friction To be very high for those early days to encourage people to follow the break-in procedure.

As others have said, Green Stuff is the road version, Red Stuff is the Fast Road/Track version. I’ve used Red Stuff in the street with no issues, other than a nasty squeal on one car. While they do give off some dust, I’ve found it washes off easily…the lack of having to scrub wires wheels is one of Moss Motors’ selling points for Green Stuff pads.

Have a look on Rock Auto, and see if they list Centric brake rotors. I’ve used them on a couple of different cars lately, because that was the only brand available in those cases.

The prices seemed too good to be true, but I have been very happy with the quality.

In OEM applications, ceramic brake pads not only reduce brake dust, but also squeaking and squeal. Though in many if not most cases, squeal is a byproduct of friction on the back of the pad and the locating “ears”. That’s where we are usually advised to use anti-squeal compound or brake grease.

Quality pads have an anti-squeal shim on the back. I guess not all ceramic pads are created equally. Of aftermarket vendors, Akebono (who make many if not most of the OEM pads as well) and Centric are good brands. I never had any squeal or noise problems with Akebono.

Dave

This is true. I bought some name-brand ceramic pads for my MGB GT once, and while they produced nearly no dust, they also produced nearly no stopping power…they were downright scary, even after an extensive break-in period!!

I switched back to semi-metallics, and all was right with the world.

1 Like

Interesting to hear all this: when I first used green stuff, ca. 1983, it was a different compound.

Glad to be updated!

the Disc Italias have the anti squeal shims on them. I even tried adding anti squeal goop , then removing and cleaning everything, and then it became obvious they glazed the rotors to the point where I am now. replacing both front rotors, rebuilding calipers and going back to semi-metallic.

I will take the dust over the annoying noise and glazing of rotors by some hard compound pad.
Rotors are still dirt cheap. my ceramic pads are headed to the landfill.