Brake sacrilege!

Dennis,

Sounds similar to my story. I replaced everything but the reservoir and get the black fluid after a few months. It’s almost as if something is growing in the fluid. I should probably remove the reservoir and thoroughly clean it, but I haven’t tried that. I just change the fluid annually and it operates fine. I wouldn’t want to risk it with the brakes though.

-David

I suspect that it might have something to do with the frequency of clutch cycles (probably 3 or 4 to 1) and the pedal throw vs the brakes. My brakes will eventually darken but not near so fast as the clutch does.

2 Likes

TWO CNC mills! You’re a glutton! I’m currently testing out the steppers and drives to convert my small 2 HP mill to CNC. I’ve been working with FreeCAD to develop models and tool paths. Still learning. Used CadKey and Pro-E back in my work days.

You should really take a look at Fusion360. If you’re using it for personal, non-commercial use, it is free. It includes really excellent 3D CAM, and a LOT of other stuff. Best deal on the planet for 3D CAD. Like all 3D CAD systems, it has a learning curve, but it is WELL worth the effort. I retired Solidworks years ago, and switched to Fusion. There are a few things for which Solidworks is better, but none that I can’t live without, given the massive price difference (Solidworks cost over $4K for the initial purchase, plus >$1200/year for updates). Even when I used Fusion for my business, and paid for it, it was only $300/year.

Regards,
Ray L.

Thanks Ray- I’ll check it out!

Rebel !! Go for it …

Here it is, mounted in its new home. Looks like I can easily re-bend the existing lines to connect it up.

Regards,
Ray L.

3 Likes

Love it! Look forward to seeing it complete.

David

It looks so…lonely.

:blush:

Simple, effective, affordable!

Triple check!

1 Like

Looks super neat. :+1:

Have you thought about doing this mod with multiple bottles, avoiding as David warns about brake and clutch fluid mixing? Thinking that would also look closer to stock.

As I have never had nor seen that problem… I see no point in fixing a problem that I’ve never had.

Regards,
Ray L.

1 Like

Just change and flush, yearly.

My fluid turns black within a couple of months. It looks like little fine particles are suspended in it and settle
Dennis 69 OTS

That’s usually a sign of a hose that’s not compatible with brake fluid. IOW, someone used a standard fuel hose.

Yes, either the hose is deteriorating or the seals are. Clutch fluid should remain its natural colour.

Hard to believe I started this stupid little project in March, and here it is July already! But, the new all-in-one fluid reservoir is now all plumbed in. I made up new hard-lines to connect them to the master cylinders. The new lines would be a bit neater, but the tubing bender I have at the moment is a POS. But, it all came out ok, and, to me, looks a lot tidier than the old three-bottle arrangement. And, left a couple hundred extra $ in my pocket!

Tomorrow I’ll go get some DOT 4, flush, fill and bleed everything, and finally have my car back on the road!

Next up, FINALLY installing all the new “upgraded” stepper motor, LED-lighted gauges!

Regards,
Ray L.

2 Likes

Noice!

I’d do this to the Rover, but it still has the virtually-indestructible tin reservoir.,

David
When you wrote “as if something is growing in the fluid” that is the line I used years ago.
In my case it was because I used a turkey baster that had been used with coolant.
I now have two individual basters labeled coolant and brake fluid. Don’t cross mix coolant and brake fluid.
Glenn

1 Like

And, whatever you do, do NOT use either one on the turkey! :slight_smile:

Regards,
Ray L.

2 Likes

My wife banned me from the kitchen. I often visit the kitchen gadget isle at Walmart looking for items to use on the car. Kitchen trays for sorting nuts and bolts and misc. containers.
Glenn