Brake servo White Post

Looks like I will next be needing to have “stuck” brake servo rebuilt.

White Post has been mentioned, can anyone give input as to the cost of that?

Also some have done this themselves.

Thank you for for any input.

Candiece

I used White Post to restore all by hydraulics. Still will need to have the stuff on the IRS restored.
This receipt is from Oct 22.
Not cheap – but you get what you pay for

@c1nicole - I just blacked out some data on that image: like my complete CC number AND the three-digit security code. If you use them take care. Either ask them NOT to place that info on your receipt or handle the hard copy appropriately.

2 Likes

I just had them rebuild the 2 front calipers on my S2. They look better than new and only cost $240 each. I would have spent almost that much buying all the parts myself.

1 Like

Fantastic! Thank you!

Candiece- My servo was so corroded there was no way to disassemble it. So I bought a new one from on of the usuals:

Just about the same price as having yours rebuilt. These units are (to my eye) indistinguishable from the originals.

3 Likes

Doug,

Seems that English parts indeed has this for around $408. Hopefully a quality part! Thank you for the input as always.

1 Like

They did mine for $505 including shipping.
But I didn’t want an exchange, I wanted my original rebuilt.
Very happy with the results.

1 Like

Candie, there is an alternative: Apply Hydraulics. I know you queried about the servo vs. the IRS cylinders that I had Apple rebuild. They offer the servo as a rebuild or an in-stock replacement also. My experience with Apple was first rate. The fellow you’ll get on the phone is Lazar and he is a fine, cordial gentleman. At the time of my order, they were a bit less expensive than White-Post and offered a faster turn-around. Their website is:

My correspondence was per the following. They charged me $95 per cylinder and the workmanship was outstanding. Their shipping was $15 for 4 cylinders.

• Scot

Apple Hydraulics INVOICE #D1540

Complete your purchase

Hello Scott,
your order is done and ready to ship, as soon as payment is received. Payment can be made on our website 24x7, using link below (credit card or PayPal).

Or, you can call and provide card information over the phone.
Thanks,
Lazar
Apple Hydraulics

1610 Middle Road, Calverton NY 11933
800-882-7753, 631-369-9515 (voice 8:30-4:00 Eastern, Mon-Fri)
631-369-9516 (fax 24x7)

2 Likes

If your bore isn’t corroded, rebuilding it yourself is no more difficult than a clutch or brake cylinder. I’d take it apart and look first. It may not needresleeving at all, and the rubber pieces are far less expensive

1 Like

White Post is the only one that I know of that uses Brass for sleeving. All other options use Stainless Steel. I wonder about positives and negatives of each. Brass would be softer, and wear faster you would expect. But it would take a while. Then again…the cast iron original bore has worn out. I think Cast Iron is softer than Steel…but certainly harder than Brass. Not certain where Stainless is in association. Perhaps more on the ’ Harder ’ side '.

Can’t imagine much could be wrong, but not confident in doing this myself.

Just now to decide if I want to send for rebuild or purchase new.

It’s not that the cast iron is harder or softer, it’s that the brass is more resistant to corrosion. Mine were resleeved 25 years ago by WP in brass. Since the car spent more time in storage than on the road. When I had sticky brakes a couple years ago, they were corroded badly from old fluid and moisture. But simply taking fine w/dry sandpaper to them cleaned the brass easily. No pitting

Before

After

2 Likes

If Paul is still there see if he can get the servo apart so you can inspect it. Disassembly (opening) of the vacuum chamber can be the most difficult part

Apple Hydraulics use (used) brass on my rebuilds. That was 11/12 years ago and still working fine.

1 Like

If you buy a rebuilt servo, make sure it has a new diaphragm. When I was researching servos, the price for a rebuilt with no new diaphragm was just about equal to a brand new one, so I bought the new one. It was beautiful! fit perfectly and worked great until it decided it didn’t like non-standard/non OE brake fluid and seized.

1 Like

Said he didn’t have tools to do that with him.

Thinking I might get a new one. Best bang for the buck.

2 Likes

But if he could simply open it to see if it is rebuildable condition without having to sleeve it. @wiggles I just want you to stay busy!

Larry

That’s pretty odd. The rebuild kits include new diaphragms. And they all come from one place. I don’t remember the whole chain of companies, but the present manufacturer is still the original Lockheed plant. I think it’s called Liberty Hydraulics or something like that.

1 Like

This was several years ago… no rebuild kits that I could find. I was looking at refurbed units, which turned out not to have the diaphragms. When my last research call turned up the new ones, I just went with that. I had several LBCs and did my best to rebuild brake/clutch cylinders and didn’t have much luck because they turned out to need new cylinders. The resulting cost was equal to a new one… so again, buy new. I reflected on that experience for the E booster.