Braking System has a fault

I have a 92 XJ40 damiler 4.0 litre.
I’m having two warning lights appearing on dash.
The ABS & Brake System warning lights come on when I apply brakes.
I can hear a pump run until they go out.
When the bonnet is lifted and brakes applied the brake fluid can be seen returning to the fluid tank and some of it is pushed out the top of the screw top on the tank.
When driven the vehicle seems stop fine.
But I have not slammed on the brakes to see what happens.
What could be a possible cause of this fault.
& how to I eliminate fault as I cannot get a Warrant of Fitness for the vehicle the way it presently is.
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks so much.
David Morell.
Gore
NZ

Hi welcome to the forums, nice to see another Kiwi on board.
Sounds like your accumulator ball has lost its charge, once the pump stops how many brake applications do you get before the pump starts again.

Accumulator bad. The fluid mustn’t be forced through the top of the reservoir cap. Maybe you have too much fluid?

I get 1 action of applying brake pedal before noise of pump restarts.

Not now I don’t have , as each time I apply brake pedal whether idling or travelling fluid is returned to tank and comes out the tiny hole in cap.
I checked level of tank at cold and it was at full level or slightly below.

Also if I hold down vcm button when switching on ignition , the message fail 11 comes up then message fuel 11. Those two messages just keep coming up until I switch key off.
Has no effect on starting engine or driving vehicle or even braking the vehicle.

Classic indication that the accumulator has lost its charge.

So does this mean I replace accumulater or look for a fluid leak on pipework to each wheel ?

Are accumulaters easy to source for replacement ?

The accumulator ball may be able to be recharged-ask around

This accumulator’s ball cannot be recharged, such operations are dangerous in its case. Fits the WABCO ball from the Range Rover P-38, it’s half the price of the original Jaguar