Breakers yard, and an IRS

Whether or not you are correct in numbers, Mark - it’s uninteresting for politicians making laws. They have to do something, whatever the ultimate cleanliness the environment - the wanted results is re-election, and electric vehicles is a bandwagon…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I still can’t but feel that some bolts are not undone, Mark…

…to pry loose something that is bolted to take the strain of a couple of hundred horsepower and two tons of car requires more than brute power…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

The numbers are real, particularly in China, which is recently reaping the benefits of ignoring EPA (Health and Safety) regulations. I’m trying to find the study that I came across. The numbers were staggering, that’s why I remembered them. the article heading was “Which was more Green a Prius or a Hummer H2? The H2” The article went on about it wasn’t the use of the vehicles that caused the excess pollution but the manufacturing. In a nutshell, electric vehicles are comprised of exponential amount of precious metals, and plastics compared to a petrol powered vehicle. What prompted the look up was comment Jeremy Clarkson made on Top Gear (UK). I’m still looking for it, but will provide the link when I find it.

I worked in the political arena for 15 years of my existence, and the common theme is laws are like sausages – neither one you want to see made. The re-election bit is true, but the process is driven by lobbyists and money. The Golden rule applies here. The one with the most gold rules.

This reminds me of my Repug neighbor who cited (via FoxNews of course) an expert’s direct quotation to the effect that windmills took more energy to manufacture than they would ever return during operation over their lifetime. Quote was correct–what was left out is that the expert was referring to windmills sited in areas with no wind. He was advising against it.

Here, you are talking about particulates and similar nasty stuff. That’s last century’s pollution. Like when Trump always uses the term “clean coal.” Yes, scrubbers have been reducing sulphur and similar particulates from coal burning for some time. Unfortunately, the problem now is climate change, and CO2, voluminously produced by the cleanest of coal, is the major culprit. That’s why we have electric cars and windmills. Reducing particulates is important too, but that’s a different problem and it’s largely under control except for coal burning in some countries. We’ll know we have too many particulates in the air when the climate starts cooling–as during the dinosaur extinction. IMHO.

1 Like

Me too. But I just can’t figure out where, without getting under the IRS, Needless to say I’m a bit gun shy. The radius arms are loose thanx the wonderful chisel steel plate tool, which works wonderfully! Unless there are bolts on the backside of the IRS mounts that hold it to the sub frame. The two nuts I removed are the two that are visible from the outside of the car. 1 is at 2 o’clock, and the other at 10 o’clock. On each side. It appears the cage is slotted where the nuts tighten down. Looks like an alignment adjustment slot. The washers are pretty much stuck on preventing the cage from freeing the bolts which are cast in the IRS mount(s) are there bolts on the other side?

Mine has four bolts on each side, total eight.
Get those out and those U-saddles should come loose.

Dumb question: is the prop shaft disconnected?

“Dumb question: is the prop shaft disconnected?”

Not a dumb question, yes it is, I have the broken nose to prove it :wink:
Seriously it came down and broke my nose. mashed into my face to the point I used two fingers up each nostril to lift it up, and my thumb on the other hand to push it back into place. it wasn’t the pain that made sit a spell, it was the noise moving it back. that made me dizzy(er)

I thought those U saddles were the top portion of the mount. reading the directions. "eight self licking nuts. I’ve removed 4. there’s till more to come. Thanx Rob

Robert your point is well taken with respect to the production of electiricty, and the extra electricity used for building the significantly more complex vehicles. Along with that, producing the minerals for the batteries. , which in the US is widely coal powered.

Found one of the links

In case folks stop reading “before the fold,” thete is this fact, an inconvenient one to those trying their darndest to toss wrenches into the future of transportation.

“Although hybrid vehicle production is more energy-intensive and results in higher production emissions, hybrid vehicles are still the greener choice overall. ”

“Although hybrid vehicle production is more energy-intensive and results in higher production emissions, hybrid vehicles are still the greener choice overall. ”
Wiggles,
I think your post may be a bit out of context; the purpose of the article isn’t to throw (too many) wrenches at the future of transportation, but to point out that those unsightly rodents on wheels, aren’t as green as our marketecture (stuff designed by marketing) wants us to believe.

I will concur is the quote, with the respect that the quote is referring what was on the following page - pollutants coming out of the tail pipe. Essentially comparing usage of the vehicle, apples to apples.

That is a tough one to challenge, though Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear UK did attempt it.
He had a race on the top gear race track, between a Prius, and BMW M3. Top them both off with the same amount of fuel, then did laps around the track.
Came back filled the tank, to the same level as determined before the race. The Prius averaged 1.7 (or 17.5) miles to the gallon; whereas the BMW averaged 19mpg
It was pretty humorous

Status update I was in the yard again today,
As stated in a previous post, the radius arms are off, all of the nuts are off the bolts, and as suspected bolts aren’t coming out. so there it sits, completely unbolted resting on the bolts that I can’t get out because the cage is resting on the bolts.

this so like watching your favorite pub burn to the ground. I’m going to try to sneek a scissor jack in. maybe they’ve never seen one, Or… Oh, man!! I I just thought of this, take the scissor jack in the yard in pieces, then assemble it… OH THAT IS BRILLIANT!! it may just work :smile:

Keep you posted
Mark

The threaded studs on the bottom of the “V” mounts are angled towards each other. The holes in the cage are slotted, but there isn’t really enough tolerance to let the cage drop straight down unless you have a precision located jack.

Remove the bump stop, fit a “J” or “U” bolt you brought with you to the 2 holes, then use a ratchet strap or turnbuckle and strap to pull the hub carrier up. Then remove the 8 bolts through the chassis leg.

Failing that… a wire saw, and saw through the rubber section of the mounts, first on the insides, then on the outsides. Make sure you have something under the IRS so that it hasn’t far to fall.

those thru bolts must come out !..here is how I would proceed;

put a few bricks & wood blocks under IRS…allowing a long lever to be used

best tool is a “spike”…knock the bolts thru as far as you can, at that point, you need to get a tool behind the bolt head and hammer it out the rest of the way

a long open-end spanner can be used, held with a leather glove and tapped repeatedly, with the joint
well-lubed…it will help a lot if the lever can be used to relieve pressure

If you cannot achieve success, (after driving the bolt half thru, and it gets stuck), hacksaw the bolt head off, and drive the remaining shaft into the frame rail

You must ensure the IRS cannot fall, by building a platform, or roping it up, that bastard will kill you, not just break yr nose

Thank you Andrew,
I like the idea of the rubber stops, I tried a come along on the hubs, all I did was compress the suspension. didn’t come down like I’d hoped.

You don’t want to compress the suspension, you just want to take the weight off the 8 thru bolts.

Now that I think about it… You don’t really care about scratching the paint or denting the body (I’m not used to that scenario), A pair of ratchet straps, loop under the hub/wishbone/outer fulcrum on either side, comealong resting on the boot joining the two loops.

I don’t think I could do this without at least putting a bit of carpet between the comealong and the paint, but for you this has now become personal.

I’m with you on the dents and paint chipping. There was a bloke behind me working on VW Jetta removing the passenger window. Ripping the door card, seals, cutting the supports with bolt cutters. Making a serious hash of the door. While I’m taking each bolt off, screwing the nut back onto the bolt dropping into a container. I had a rough time positioning the ratchet strap so I didn’t dent the rear wing. Again why? It’s going to be crushed. I giggled to myself, because I was thinking it was respect for the dead.

I tried what you suggested, it didn’t take enough weight off it just compressed the suspension. I’m gonna sneak a scissor jack in the yard in pieces. And use the straps to support it as I lower it. I’m pretty sure this will work. Once I get it from under the car, I can use their cobbled together gantry to move it to where I need it to be.

58 posts on this subject means there are a lot of people pulling for you on what should have been a simple job if a jack could have been allowed.
Try a socket and 18" long extension and a crowbar or flat screwdriver prying under the bolt heads and see if you can get the bolts to unscrew themselves.

I think I know the answer…

C7H5N3O6

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: