Breakers yard, and an IRS

Better yet, C4–apply directly to the suspension mounts.

1 Like

However it is done, Rob - it’s a very dangerous operation without steady support of the cage…!

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

There is a video of two guys lifting a Chevy LS 5.3 aluminum block engine out of the wrecking yard car by hand with a belt around the block and using a drive shaft as a pole to hang it on. Lots of stupid things can be done.

how about sneaking a 18V cordless angle grinder down your pants ?

If you build a platform under it and use a lever, then slip scraps of wood under the cage, it will be under compression…knock the thru bolts out

Greetings All,

The Powr-Lok was optional on the sixes and Standard on the V12’s if I remember correctly.

It’s either find the tag or rotate with both wheels off the ground.

I’m lazy, I just find a V12.

Finding a V12, easier said than done around these parts. I would love to have Series III XJ12. Here in the US, they were never imported, and when the Brit Saloon Market started to get recognized for what they are, the Canadian market all but dried up.

Down my pants… Right. Then when I sign in at the counter, I’ll say Well HEEELLLOOO LADIES! Yes, there are ladies at the counter. Well females.
I’ve tried the scraps of just about anything I could find to take the wait off, there just isn’t enough room between the cars. And it’s usually just me.

bottle of whisky & a pack of smokes - everything could be fun.

Been down that road…

Yer really committed to this IRS, aintcha?

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Greetings All,

MLee, Series III XJ12 79-92…those came to the US as far as I know.

Where did you hear or see that?

Its become personal at this point. I have nearly 10 hours sitting in the mud and cold. Im not going to walk away empty handed.

From memory…I don’t believe so. John Testrake here in Saint Louis made his own, though.

1 Like

We, husband and I, actually did this very thing in our local Pick-n-Pull, summer 2015. No jacks allowed there either, but we managed to find enough tires and other junk to pile under the IRS while we were disengaging it from the sub-frame after several hours of intense labor. I would say it’s at Least several hundred pounds.

After getting it on the ground, we got all the wheeled conveyances the yard supplied, which were all a cruel joke as all the tires were nearly flat. Company policy is NOT to help or assist customers remove things, and most Staff obediently refused to help.

So, finally, when we were near our wits’ end, I went to the office alone, detailed the work we had done to that point, along with our willingness to buy the unit and pay extra for assistance if necessary, and begged for one of Staff to please drag the thing from under the car and put it in our pickup.

Fortunately, the yard supervisor was in the office at the time and asked me to show him Exactly what I meant, what I wanted, where the car was, etc. After he saw for himself the work we had already done, the IRS lying on tires to cushion its fall from the car, on the ground under the car, completely unattached, he said to me, “Oh yeah, you’re not gonna get that outta there. Let me get some of my guys (and suitable machinery) and we’ll get that for you.” And he did! Even loaded it in our pickup!

It was a Beastly hot afternoon in August, so we left them a flat of bottled water for their trouble and profuse thanks for the help.
(’;’)

I sure felt the same in a like situation, Mark…

…the main danger is that that intent may cloud sound judgement - and hurt ensues. The issue is to take the weight of the subframe to extract the 4 angled bolts - if they cannot be unscrewed safely. Excessive lifting, whether with a jack or a lever is counterproductive - and may destabilise the precarious perch of the car itself, with unforeseeable consequences.

Like you, I’m too proud to give up, and bear scars to prove it - but I refuse to be outwitted by inanimate objects…:slight_smile:

Using available odds and ends it can be done, but levering is a two-man job - and the subframe must be lifted straight up ‘just so’ to extract the bolts. Destructive dismantling requires knowledge on where to make cuts…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

So who exactly was their market, being it had a V12?

I’ve got the bits to make my own, but it’s not the same, the Non-US spec XJ’s had other cool features, like headlight washers; 7” outside headlamps, and the coveted V12.
On the Series II’s they also had regular bumpers; which are another coveted item. I bought a Series III just for the headlights. How dumb was that?

Thank you for the words of encouragement. the yard has a gantry crane that I can use once I get the darn thing off it’s pirch. as it stands it’s just hanging by the 8 bolts. I haven’t been back to the yard in a week, cause the weather is less than desirable.

Wouldnt that just be the dribblin’ shits, if when ya made it back, some other yobbo got it out and bought it?

:persevere:

Nope, the XJ12’s never made it to the US. Canada Yes. Mexico, yes, US Nope
Not until the XJ40 and the XJ300 (one year) was there a V12 in a Jaguar Saloon. If memory serves; it was because it wouldn’t pass emissions;
Oddly enough, the XJS came only with a V12 to the US. It passed emissions. I don’t get it. Unless it had to do with packaging. Weird.