Breakers yard, and an IRS

Both Series 1 (1973 only) and Series 2 XJ12 were imported into the US. Carbed–4 Stranglebergs.

That is correct, I should’ve qualified my post with Series III XJ. The later Series II’s (expecially the XJC’s) I believe did have Fuel Injection.

There were drop tops that were 6s: ONLY way Id ever own an XJS!!

Ok, up until i think 76-91 us spec were all 5.3 V12 then in 92-96 the aj6 was predominate. At that time the 6 litre V12 was fitted to a few XJ’s. Too bad cause the 6.0 V12 was the one to have.

Update on the IRS
Before Christmas I trundled off to the Breakers yard, to find out the car was squished. thank God I didn’t see it. Sad day. So it’s back to square one. So If I want one, then it’s back to craigslist.

I want to thank you all for your support and words of encouragement. I also want to thank you all for great tips on removing rusty IRS radius arms. Which I’ve used on the on my $400.00 Series III that’s in the stable now.
(This one)

1 Like

As someone mentioned there were indeed Series I and II XJ12s brought into the USA. And, in fact, a small handful of Series IIIs as well…some say as few as six, others say as many as 41.

The Series III V12/XJ12 was intended for the USA market and were emissions compliant but Jaguar pulled the plug due to CAFE standards, not emissions standards. Cars en-route after those first few were diverted to Canada.

As for the XJS there were about 50 (some say 25) 6-cylinder, 5-speed cars officially brought into the USA circa 1985. After that is was back to V12s exclusively until 1993 or so.

Cheers
DD

Sad to see it go, but spares you further trouble :slightly_smiling_face: good luck with your $400 S3, wish I had something like your garage! Thanks for the update. I was curious

David

I just got in on the tail end of your story the other day. I spent last Sunday at the local Pick N Pull yard in Dallas and after 3 hours of hard work, I scored a complete rear suspension from a 1985 Vandenplas for the sum of $61.00. Not bad for a day’s work.

Mark nice lift. rear end on SF craigs list not far from Washington. what you pay for that lift did you have to do any concrete work to install it or do it just sit on your floor?

I got the lift at Greg Smith Equipment Sales, I’ve had it for a while and I know the price has gone up. I think the current pricing is $2,400.00 US dollars, No I didn’t have to do any concrete work, it just sits on the floor and it even came with wheels. So I can roll it out of the garage (barely)