British number plate replacement letter/numbers

Peter, I’ve been wondering about the original registration and if there is anyway to track the car. Per JH the car was dispatched to Switzerland to a dealer soon after coming off the assembly line.

Hi James,

Is your car right hand drive? Also, is the speedometer calibrated in mph or is it kph? Your registration is a London mark from October 1948.

Peter

Right hand drive but non- orginal gauges. Jaguar Heritage says it was built 7-2-47 and sent to a dealer in Switzerland on 7-30-47.
Interesting to know the registration may be orginal but wounder if a PO changed it.

I suspect that the number plate is original to the spare wheel compartment lid but perhaps the lid was changed by a previous owner. What is your body number?

Peter

Have the matching front plate that looks orginal, Body # B6348

Correction, car was dispatched to dealer in Switzerland 7-18-47. Garage Place Claparede, Geneva.

Yes, your body number corresponds with the July 1947 date so the registration number is a bit odd for your car. Did the car come with a front registration matching the rear? If so then it probably spent some time in the UK running with the KLD identity.

Peter

Yes, matching front plate. Thanks, is there a web site where I can look up Reg plate info?

Where was that picture taken? Looks nice.

Try contacting The Kithead Trust. They might have records or know whether the records still exist. They are just a voluntary organisation so they might not reply quickly.

Peter

I think I took that at the west side of Loch Awe, Scotland.

Peter

1 Like

Hi James,

Unfortunately I have just found a little book I had forgotten about and it lists LD registration details as “destroyed”.

Peter

Tks for your help , you’ve been a wealth of info.

My last visit to Scotland has been far too long ago.
Maybe I can go Saison l again when the children are older and don’t mind looking drives anymore.

My Mark IV was originally delivered to a dealer in LA. The license plate I bought with the car looks a bit different. Is it the original US license plate?
IMG_1232

Hi Slawek,

UK plate, late 1940’s.

Cheers!

Thanks. Might be. The car is from April 1948.

You’re welcome, I am sure it is, the lettering style and the syntax match.

Cheers!

The Los Angeles distributor would have been either International Motors or Charles Hornburg.
Our (at that time 48) states each issue their own license plates, and California was doing this, a 1947 plate with added tabs for 48 and 49.

You can still buy them on ebay if you want.
Some of our states allow you to display these as long as you have a real current plate with you.

KXE seems to be a Luton registration.

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/reg-letters.htm

1 Like

See above copy of my JDHT Certificate.
Is it possible that “Original British (not recorded) dealer” supplied the car with the British license plate to the “Original LA distributor”?

Original dealer would be one of a dozen or two dozen dealers in major cities in the western USA. The car went from International to one of those, and the information never got back to Jaguar. Sales in the US usually did NOT get recorded back.

Perhaps your plate did not belong to the car, was just added by a restorer?