Broadsport 5 Speed?

Hi Huff,
This is what I received today from Tom at Guy BroadHi Bob

I have attached the fitting sheet that comes with all our gearboxes when we send them out to customers. Everything you need to install the gearbox is provided. The only thing you need to have extra is a propshaft (or you can alter your own).

In terms of the gearboxes fitment in a series 1 E-Type you will need to do a small amount of welding to the crossmember of the chassis to be able to put the new mount in for the rear of the gearbox, other than that it should fit straight into the car and the stick should come through in the original hole in the tunnel

If you have any other questions I would be more than happy to help

Thanks
Tom

So there maybe some cutting and welding required of a cross member and the driveshaft has to be shortened by 108 mm.

The E-TYPE 5 SPEED GEARBOX INSTRUCTION on Welshā€™s website is very similar to the Guy Broad sheet. One is metric and the other is english units. Both use the same pictures and same gear ratios.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,

I was told ā€œNothing is needed to be welded or mounted differently, All fits in fine.ā€ but it looks as though that method is for the LWB cars and there needs to be ā€œchamferā€ cut into the leading edge of the cross-member which may be a deal-breaker for those with the SWB cars. I did not mean to mislead. I took a look at the installation instructions and said chamfer looks to be pretty easy to do while the trans is out and if I had to do it I would just cut out the chamfer ā€œsocketā€ and put in a beefy canted plate that spans enough with good sheet metal screws attachments if I didnā€™t want to weld.

I have asked Tom for a referral to a shop, or shops, that have done the installation of these boxes to confirm the need for sheet metal work.

Am not sure, as well, of the 108 mm dimension for the cut for the LWB prop shaft being the same as for the SWB cars, so will ask. I have inquired about the speedo cable setup and the type/size clutch disc, too.

Thanks,

Huff

Using sheet metal screws would be inadequate. If you must cut into that structural crossmember only good seam welding will suffice to maintain its integrity. You will more than likely otherwise be following up with a major repair job later on.

In any event a deal breaker as far as Iā€™m concerned. The Guy Broad option otherwise looks good, though itā€™s not clear to me whether they sell the kit for the E-type directly or you must deal through E-type UK.

See http://www.guybroad.co.uk/newsletter/aug_09_newsletter.html

Hi Huff,
You didnā€™t mislead anyone. You were just relaying what you were told. Having to alter the car to fit the 5 speed wonā€™t work for me. I have talked to Welsh before when they were at the JAG of Michigan Concours and having to modify the car stopped me from pursuing that option too.

Thank You for all your work in setting up the group buy.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,
Are you judging at our Concours? Speaking of gear ratios, some time when Rob and I are together youā€™ll have to drive both cars and see the difference between a 3.54 & 3.07 gear. The ideal set up in my mind would be a 5 speed with a .75-.80 5th with a 3.54 axle. As that will never happen Iā€™ll stick with the 3.07 gear.
Bob
Plymouth, Mi.

Bob,
If youā€™re ever in the DC area you can try my 3.54 axle with a ~.7 5th gear. Great off the line then a nice purr at 80 mph.
Mike

Whose conversion do you have, Mike?

i did mine a few years ago and was able to get one from medatronics, a ford 5 speed conversaion.

Hi there to those planning to fit the Broadsport 5 speed. I fitted this box 2 years ago with mixed results so I thought Iā€™d share my experience in case it helps.

The box fits straight into the lwb E Type, like my 67 2+2 with only the prop shaft needing shortening. My box had the older change mechanism fitted, which I think has now been replaced by the one shown in the Broad and Welsh instruction sheets. Mine did not fit, it was very poorly engineered and the Rose joint came away from the bridge piece. A disaster, and it required cutting the gearbox cover to fit.

Like others, I had great difficulty getting any replies from Broad Sport, and I am still trying to get the new mechanism to replace mine.

The box however is terrific to drive. Initially 1st gear was difficult to engage, this has improved after 500 miles or so. The changes up and down are instant, short throw, click click. 5 gear is just right for my 3.54 final drive, dropping revs by 20% or more in 5th. All other ratios seem to match the original box.

I would be very good to hear from those fitting the box whether the new mechanism works any better!

Hi Hotrum,

Do you recall how much you needed to shorten the 2+2 prop shaft? I am in the throes of getting the Broadsport box, as are some others- by chance do you have any photos from your work(s)? (especially for the short wheelbase, which may or may not have the shifter problems- I need to be in touch with Broad, in the near future and I will inquire about the current design/offering, if I can).

Thanks,

Huff

Hi Huff
My box went in my 2+2 without chassis mods, in fact it fits into the original gearbox mount perfectly. I donā€™t have any experience or insight into any chassis mods to swb cars Iā€™m afraid. Iā€™ll look for photos of the work in my jumble of digital photos. Iā€™m currently in email exchange with Aaron at Broadsport about a new mechanism - will let you know.
As I said before, a great box with excellent ratios and instant change - now if only I can get the mechanism fixed ā€¦
Brian

Huff
Iā€™ll try to find out how much the shaft had to be shortened. About 2" is my recollection. Make sure itā€™s done by an expert of course - rebalanced and checked for true. Prop shaft flange is unchanged, but suggest replacing all universal joints both ends while you are at it. Mine were worn even though only 35k miles - I suspect sporadic greasing as they are hard to reach. Suggest replace with sealed, non greasing joints.
You will have a speedo reading about 40% low when you are done. Not that I cared about that - gives me an excuse when stopped for speeding. ā€¦ But officer I was only doing 60! You can fit a mini gearbox between the cable and speedo to correct it - or have the speedo itself modified of course. But I drive on the rev counter anyway.

Iā€™ve done various other upgrades if you are interested - Dzus brakes, cool cats fan, pertronix of course, re-cored rad with 4 rows, solid rack mounts, spin on filter, and a few minor things.

Iā€™ll keep you informed about Broad.

Brian

Heh: thatā€™s why I never bothered to fix Tweetyā€™s speedo issue: tā€™was just as easy, and more accurate, to use the tach.

1 Like

I converted my 66 2+2 automatic to a Tremec 5-speed manual from The Driven Man/American Powertrain. Everything comes in the kit. It uses a stock Jaguar clutch pack. I converted the stock pedal box to accommodate a stock clutch pedal. Driven Man supplies a cast aluminum bell housing and a drive shaft. The shift lever is positioned in the same place as the factory 4-speed. They have a proprietary trans mount. No cutting or welding. I did have to wait about two months for delivery.
I love the Tremec.

1 Like

I just looked at the web site.

http://thedrivenman.com/i-19470042-1965-71-e-type-5-speed-kit-4-2l.html

Seems to be a well made item and the price is certainly competitive.

I have the t5 from xks with a 288 rear
My God Iā€™m at 1,500 rpm at 50 and 2450at 90 mph
Need I say more other than I have NO oil on my exhaust pipes and it shift like butttta !
Just a little babs for the nort eastšŸ˜€
Oh have the matched lightened flywheel as well
Itā€™s really a modern car now
Gtjoey1314

Paul Cangliosi claims he cannt get certain parts for the conversion, which is why he us not supplying the Medatronics kit: I wonder if this is more subterfuge than reason?

Not sure what Paul would gain by subterfuge, giving away customers?. I have one of his 5speeds and love it.

He claims he cannot get good, US-made parts for the kit: is Driven Man using these alleged lower-quality parts, orā€¦?

No accusations, either way, but it does raise lots of questions.