Broadsport 5 Speed?

An update to confirm that I have jumped on the bandwagon and joined the deal.
Learnt from Tom at Broadsport that the boxes are ready for dispatch in the next few days…
P.S.: thanks Huff for bringing this opportunity forward.

Hello,

I just learned of this deal and hope I’m not too late. I want in on this group buy. I’m currently having my 3.8 FHC restored and they won’t put in the Driven Man’s five speed due to quality concerns. Of course they may not want to try out this gearbox either for various reasons but I’m trying to confirm that with them right now.

Just confirmed with my shop. They have much experience with the Broadsport and say they will install if that is my choice, but the shift feel is notchy in their opinion.

Cedric

The Jag-Lovers lister who worked this deal for months is Huff – he is a frequent contributor.

I was one of the five listers who took advantage of the bulk purchase. To my understanding the deal closed last Friday 02FEB18 – at least that was when my credit card was charged.

I suggest you contact Huff to see if you can still join in.

Craig

Huff,

Craig Balzer was kind enough to lead me to you regarding the group buy of the Broadspeed gearboxes for E-types. I just got wind of it and fear it’s too late for me to join in.

Please let me know if I can still add my name to the list.

Thanks,

Cedric Chew
1964 E-type 3.8 FHC
1979 S2 XJ12
2002 XJR

I suggest you contact the company and save Huff the trouble. After all, only the supplier can decide on their selling price. I told a local friend last week and he came here, read the thread did so on the ‘last day’ or Saturday (don’t recall exactly). Google Guy Broad and get the answer direct.

Peter,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did follow-up directly with the supplier but thought I’d approach it from multiple angles. Alas, it was too late to join in on the bulk purchase but Tom said he would try to get a deal for me on their next batch.

Regards,

Cedric

Could someone explain the exact modifications necessary to get this to work on a 3.8? I understand something has to be changed with the cross member behind the gear box? Does it need to be cut or bent? Is the shifter position identical to original?

Erica,
The box is a little longer, so you have to shorten the driveshaft by a little over 4 inches. That and the crossmember are the only modifications. This latest version has the gear lever in the same position. The crossmember mod does not look terribly difficult to me.

Mark

Mark, so does the cross member have to be notched out because of the added length? Is it clutch/bellhousing agnostic? Mine are all stock 3.8 still.

The crossmember mod is as follows.
The crossmember that goes across the cockpit extends through the trans tunnel. There a second crossmember with the same profile, but slightly larger that goes directly over the main crossmember in the trans tunnel. The crossmember is right behind the rear bolts for the trans mount plate. The rear captured nuts for the mount are attached to the front flange of the crossmember. The Broadsport trans case right behind the mountslants up at about a 45 degree angle. That 45 degree Area is what can touch. Most SWB cars touch, but not all. So the crossmember mod is just to put a 45 degree clearance divot in the crossmember in the tunnel. It should be just as strong as the original. And with the trans out there should be adequate clearance to work.

Mark

1 Like

My understanding it is bellhousing agnostic. When you order a
trans, they require serial numbers to determine exactly what you need. The kit comes with studs that are used to replace the stock ones.

Mark

1 Like

Hi John,

As I am now scrutinizing as much info as I can so I took a closer look at the photo (thanks for sharing!) and I see the clutch hydraulic multi-piece/type lines routed under the trans to the slave cylinder- is this your own setup version or factory-style parts (such that I could buy or rig)?

I also want to ask- if you had to do no cutting, and the shifter comes out where the 4 speed version comes through was your automatic converted to a manual box, previously? The automatic tunnel, on mine, is a one piece of the chassis, I think, but need to check to see if I am slated to fit a standard cover.

Thanks again,

Huff
69 2+2

Hi Brian,

Haven’t received my box, yet (is en route, tho), but Ralph did and posted photos. His box came with a “billet” shifter mechanism bracket- is your also billet? Are you currently running a “jury-rigged” version?

Let me know how you fare in getting a replacement mechanism and if you need or want me to apply pressure in my, am sure to be in touch again w/Broad, discourse before this is all over.

The original 2+2 manual trans tailshaft is much longer that the SWB cars- if you can dig up some photos that would be very nice. (also, any hints as to the sealed u-joint part numbers/manufacturer could be helpful).

Thanks again,

Huff
69 2+2 (starting from an automatic trans for this conversion- ugh)

Huff,
The picture showed my first version if the clutch pipes. At the time I couldn’t find information on how the factory pipes are routed (my car was originally an automatic) so I just ran a pipe from the master to the slave in a way that seemed right. The car is apart now for a paint job and I’ve since learned the correct routing. I bought a new clutch pipe kit and mounting hardware from SNG Barratt and intend on using the factory parts and routing when it starts going back together.

I had to cut a hole in the top of the tunnel for the shifter. I wanted to reduce the integrity of the floor as little as possible so the hole isn’t as big as the one on a factory 4-speed but I wanted to be able to access the top of the trans if needed without pulling it out. I positioned the eng/trans under the car and marked where the shift lever wanted to pop through. Then took a metal saw and whittled away until it looked good to me.
I used the factory plastic trans cover to cover the hole but I had to modify it some and I couldn’t bolt it in because the auto tunnel as bigger and shaped differently from the manual tunnel.
Finally, I bought a used 4-speed series one console and recovered it with a new shifter boot to make it all look as sanitary and factory as possible.

I for one would love to see some photos of the newly arrived gearboxes. Mine was shipped as well but will be headed directly to the shop which is halfway across the country.

Thanks,

Cedric Chew
'64 FHC, stroked 3.8
'79 S2 XJ12
'02 XJR

This the new Tremec connected to the 4.2 before installing it in my 67. With Driven Man’s proprietary cast aluminum bell housing. The trans was shipped UPS in a heavy foam reinforced cardboard box. The bell housing was shipped along with the clutch kit and all the small bits in another box. The drive shaft came in a large shipping tube.

Hi Huff

I’m away for a couple more weeks but will dig up what I can when I’m back.

The mechanism is the billet version on my box, which will be the same as yours I think.

Brian

I really considered the Driven Man’s offering and sure hope I won’t regret going for the Broadsport box. Does anybody have pics of the Broadsport to share? I don’t seem to be able to see any of Ralph’s photos. I’m especially curious about the shifter setup.

Thanks,

Cedric
’64 FHC, stroked 3.8
’79 S2 XJ12
’02 XJR

Here you are Cedric:

20180209_085947Red