Broken door handle...Repair?

Greetings all,

I had my 85 XJS at the local firemans picnic car show today…when I went to open the door to leave…nothing…the latch went free…I came home and pulled the handle from the door and found the tab has broken off the inner moving paddle. I do not see new replacement handles available…only used ones from the usual sources. I tend to shy away from used parts…as longevity is generally wanting because they suffer the same faults as my broken piece.

I was wondering if anyone has had any success brasing or silver soldering the pot metal part back together? Or i was thinking of bending some stainless steel to fabricate a replacement…or even milling a new one from aluminum.

Any thoughts from the group?

Cheers

Gary

Gary,

I am not familiar with the XJS door handle but I make jewellery…
From the picture it looks like its cast aluminium, and you can’t braze it.
You could arch-weld it, but don’t know if its going to be strong enough.

If I was you I would fabricate a copy of the little piece that broke, but make it longer so you can the screw it to the handle.
You could drill and tap the handle for the screws.
If you are handy with silver solder you could use brass, easy to shape and machine and you could weld one or even two extensions that will screw to the handle, front or back or both, depending on the space available.
If I didn’t make my self clear I could send you a drawing…

Hope that helps,
Aristides

Aristides,

thanks for the thoughts…i have been considering what i think you are describing… Basically, a tab which screws on to the existing back plate. Clearances are tight…but i might be able to trim the back plate cup which fits in the door to give me the clearance i need… Ill keep you updated.

Cheers

Gary

Gary,

These are on UK EBay (I have no affiliation with the seller) - not cheap but how many brand new sets are out there.

Rgds.

Andy.

Andy,

Thanks… Yes expensive, but looks like seller wont post to the United States, So not a likely option for me. I have a rough used one coming from a breaker until I can get something better. I have been working on the CAD / CAM file to make a replacement. Looks like about 20 mins in a CNC mill and then some manual cleanup… just not certain what it would cost to have made since I dont have a CNC mill. (?)

Gary, if you will send me a copy of your CAD design for the handle (must be final and correct in all respects) as you are looking at very low production quantities, which raises the cost of production, I will check for pricing, etc. with my CNC producer…he Mfgs parts for sprint car suspension assemblies, competition go cart parts, Whipple Superchargers for the big 3, etc.
Actually used handles should be available, most likely without keys, but still a replacement for your machine.
You should also consider the material for the handle as Alloy is not going to stand up to long term usage as well as steel. Steel could be powder coated and serve well for the door handle.

Good luck in finding a solution, JW

Gary:

That is a great drawing. I can almost, but not quite see myself
carving one from a bar of steel. And improving on the weak spots, the “skinny” 90 degree stamping.

Oh, I can’t tell, but the originals appear to be stamped steel and not “pot metal”. MIG or TIG could rejoin the parts and be as good as or even better, a filet at the 90!!!

But, at least it isn’t on my “fix” list.

My Super Tomahawk chipper/shredder is up front. My smaller Tomahawk is with my neighbor devouring old Ivy over growth !

Carl

Jon,

Thanks for the offer…i want to do a 3d print to check all dimensions. It would be ashame to have a couple produced to find a measurement off. So there might be a bit of a delay before i get back to you via message.
The original is definitely cast…and looking at the grain structure of the break…i think it is a zinc pot metal…it does not look like aluminum. I have also been looking into picking up some stainless steel sheet and trying to bend one from flat stock.

The used ones i have been finding have all been a bit rough on finish…and over 30 - 40 years i assume just as stressed on that frail tab. These handles have rather tight and limited access inside the door …so i want a relative long term solution…maybe this is another part to bring to market for my Jag-Aire business.

Carl,

I have been looking at the part…definately looks like a zinc pot metal with a very rough crystaline look to the break… Doesnt look aluminum to me. Due to the rub points and clearances…i dont think painted steel would look good longterm. I think the paint would get rubbed away quickly then rust. I have been looking at bending one from stainless steel…which may be an option without cnc time.

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary,

Did you get this resolved? By manufacture or used spare? Guess what… mine broke today…

Yes…i purchased a used handle in not the best condition…but in the process of installing…i broke that one. So I resorted to repairing my original handle.

But since then…i purchased a couple of spares in nice condition from a junk yard…but also have the 3d CAD file for machining.

So I can offer you assistance with a used handle or the file for the internal lever…which you could get cut from a machine shop or use a service like emachineshop.

I will get pictures of the spare handle tomorrow.

Be advised…my fat fingers didn’t fit well inside the door and behind the glass…i would rate this as a 7or 8 on the frustrating tight quarter repair task and took several hours to get the retaining nuts and linkages off and back on.

Cheers

Gary

Cheers Gary - I pm’d you dude.

I also took the part off yesterday and confirm ‘fat fingers’ are cumbersome on getting the levers off!

Yeah damaged door handles are a problem and a good one hard to find . when I bought my 85 in 2000 I was lucky as P.O. had a new one in a box of parts that was included