Broken tap - what's behind?

69 Coupe

Getting ready to install engine and IRS. Taking care of all the little things that have to be done first, to avoid having to back-track. UNFORTUNATELY, I decided to clean the threads that hold the 4 bolts (2 each side) for the rear anti-sway bar. Broke a thread chaser. It wasn’t even that tight!!!

I have a Armour Mil cutter, but when applying pressure to the broken tap, the entire “inner” threaded portion moved back from from the outer vertical plate about 3/8". Not as if a welded nut came loose within, but it went straight back and is still attached to something?

Does anyone know what’s behind that vertical plate. On my 69 Coupe, there are actually 4 holes on each side, but only the two outboard ones have internal threads for the sway bar brackets!

Mark
Murrieta, Ca.

It’s a little plate with tapped holes, held loosely in place with tabs.

Excellent Abowie1! Thank you. now I know what I’m dealing with! I was almost ready with all the small things and had forgotten to clean up those threads.

Mark
Murrieta, Ca.

You’re welcome. It might actually have a nut welded onto the plate rather than just flat tapped plate.

I stripped one on my current rebuild, and then damaged the plate beyond repair while trying to retap it. I made up a smaller plate with a tapped hole in it and managed to slide it in (somehow) and then held it place with a magnet until I could wangle the bolt in.

They are Captive nuts and sometimes break away! the easy solution is to let the old nut fall down in the mount and install a new “insert” nut with a borrowed install tool and your ready to go!

Derek

You mean like a Nutsert? Why didn’t I think of that?