BSA WM20 1944 , my new project!

Just picked up my new project , have a few parts missing , so if anyone has BSA M20/21 parts in the UK , please let me know :+1:

1 Like

That would give anyone a heart attack :heartbeat:

1 Like

lol it’s not that bad Kenny , I enjoy cleaning metal , putting things back together and so on, The Jag is more or less finished now , I can’t sit about for too long lol
Have been looking for such a bike for a long time .
I did not want one done , I did not want a original bike !
Plan is to make a tribute bike to my Grandad , who was a dispatch rider in the Desert ,
So in a way I can justify changing , it from how it was in 1944 , from green to sand colour and adding the C number from my Grandads bike

Hope to having it looking a little like this !

This green one is on e-bay at the moment , still days to go , its over £6000 now , and needs a engine rebuild !

3 Likes

Well got a frame now to hang things on :grin:
Took all old paint off , now in etching primer !

1 Like

Moi nice Ian.
Looking forward to see what next.

Brilliant idea Ian . Keep posting your progress . My father was also a dispatch rider , he was captured at Calais . Pity they took his bike away , he could have done a Steve McQueen and jumped over the wire :joy:

3 Likes

I can highly recommend a wire Angle grinder wire brush attachment for cleaning paint and rust off metal , but you must wear eye protection , as bits of wire do fly off .

Will not remove the green paint on the inside , may just brush some wax oil on the surface

2 Likes

Here is the M20 that I put together about 15 years ago… Admittedly no where near as bad as yours!

Sold her to get my MkV…

I may have some literature still kicking around… if I find any, it’s yours.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cPadVjnXAP8x1StW9

Cheers, Jon.

1 Like

Nice looking bike Jon , and thank you , some parts are hard to come buy , some parts are priced way too high , someone is trying to sale old reconditioned forks for £1950 .
Don’t bite my head off , but you can get remade new ones from India for £500 inc post , but not looking that far ahead yet , have lots of work to do , on the parts I have .

Plus there is lots of shows to go to , to hunt out that missing part , half the fun right :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Very nice restoration Jon.
Like the single saddle look, makes it very slick.

1 Like

First missing part on its way , a bigger carb , off a M21

2 Likes

Is there much missing ?

Yes quite a few parts !

Were those engines Schneurle-ported?

Pass , not got as far as the engine yet !

Finding out there is not many parts in the UK , them that are about are quite expensive, ok if you have a open check book , I don’t so may take longer to finish the job , have 2 people getting job lots together.
One dealer wants £1950 for a set of girder forks , £1000 for a front wheel , and £600 for a clock lol dream on m8 .
Found some seat springs at a very good price £12 new inc post , but like many parts that are re made they are just not right !
There was no way of attaching a bolt to the spring , as the holes where to big , what to do :thinking:
Maybe close the end up in a vice , worked a treat :+1:
Worked on front brake plate , red oxide still on the inside , see restoration jobs , where people paint the inside same as the outside , I decided to re paint in red oxide !

Getting 1lt of Enamel mixed up , was going to get a Humbrol 93 desert yellow , but found that a Burago MK2 interior was close enough , saved me £3 :grin:

Finding out a load of new stuff , BSA WM20 , had straight seat springs fitted at the beginning , then changed to tapered like I have .
They say there is no one colour for all bikes , they painted them , the colour that was to hand in the country , and that the Desert bikes even had sand chucked on the wet paint to help the camouflage effect .

Ps Why do Burago MK2 Jags have Daimler V8 250 seats :thinking:

2 Likes

Sounds like it could be a long project Ian ! How old are you , by the way .:grin:

64 , Jag took about 34 years to get on the road :rofl:
Out for a unpleasant drive today , went to a Funeral , nice sunny day for it !

1 Like

More paint :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Trying Electrolysis for the first time , quite impressed with the reaction to rust in the tank , on the 3rd go now , tank washed out each time , picture was taken after about a hour !

2 Likes