Build date vs Dispatch date?

In my case there is a 15 day lag between the build date and the dispatch date…does this mean that it BEGAN being built on that date and was finished/left factory on the dispatch date?

I have a build date of 11-15-1966 and a dispatch date of 1-2-1967. A month and a half seems really long to me, but the holidays were in between. Still curious.

–Drew

I really don‘t have the answer to this, but I think(!) the build date is the date it was completed and the dispatch date is when it left the factory grounds. In your case, it stood around for two weeks.
Chris, in Germany

I assumed build date was the day the build was completed and then it was wheeled out to that big parking lot in the rain until it was shipped.

I believe that Build Date is when they finished building the car, and the Dispatch Date is when it was shipped from Jaguar premises on it’s way to the dealer. Some cars (e.g. Series 3s) have a Manufactured Date stamped on a plate on the door jamb which researchers state can be different from both, but is usually closer to the Dispatch Date.

That makes sense. I doubt the cars rolled out the factory assembly line and on to a ship immediately. It’s more likely they sat in a lot on the factory grounds until the ship contracted to carry a load of vehicles came into port and was ready to take on cargo. The difference between the build date and dispatch date for my car was 55 days.