Building a workshop/garage - the odyssey

Picture of the toilet with cabinetry, lots of good storage

1 Like

where’s the book rack?

good point. Not the same here in N. East.
I wish my compressor intake was outside because a lot of the noise of it comes from there.

Great idea. Where did you source the cabinets, I like that look.

dang, they didn’t have those back then. chain guide is why I don’t have door lift, plus the opener takes too much room

The mid rise MAXJAX lift works under many conventional garage door openers. In our old house I was able to raise the FHC to within 2" of the maximum lift height.

They were custom made when we were building the house from our cabinet maker. It’s laminate that looks like brushed aluminum. The cabinets are custom fit to the space. The toilet room is to the right of the workbench and has a sliding door to close off for privacy (not that I have a lot of company in the garage, it’s rarely used).

I need you to come design and organize my stuff!!!

If I were closer, I would!

How did you get the wheels up there ?

I’d be happy to send you a copy of my floor plans for your thoughts?

As I recall, I was up in the mezzanine and my wife handed me one wheel at a time from a ladder in front of the toilet room entrance. Or, I was on top the ladder and she handed me the wheels that I then put up on the mezzanine and then placed. It was 3 years ago. There are two other sets of wheels from other cars up there.

I’d be happy to look at them.

She must be strong !

As in many other things in life, the story of my garage/shop has taken an unexpected turn… I was waiting impatiently for the contractor to turn the architects drawings into a job estimate. I was lead to believe that he had everything he needed and it would only take a “day or two” and that turned into nearly three weeks. While I was waiting for the estimate, my wife asked me if I wanted to look at a local home (five miles away) that already had a detached garage that was for sale. Her thought was that I might get some further ideas on how to setup my garage, once it was built.

So on Tuesday of last week we called the realtor and went to view the house and the detached 2,400 square foot garage. The garage has 14’ ceilings, three 18’ x 10’ garage doors with wall mounted openers, a 10,000 pound BendPak asynchronous two-post lift, and mini-splits already installed for heating/cooling. The house is beautiful and is a one-story that we have been looking for too. All of this is situated on 1.1 acres in a great community. By Sunday we had submitted the winning offer (less than asking but closing on December 28th). The home inspection happened yesterday and this 12 year old home and 4 year old detached garage passed with minimal maintenance issues needed.

(The two four post lifts were excluded from the deal and neither was the 1929 Model A included)

Suffice to say, it’s the first time that I was happy that the contractor took his time to get something done.

9 Likes

So, you bought a garage with a detached house. Sweet!!! You avoid all the headaches of building one and get to have it almost immediately.

Looks like it’s time to break out the rollers and brushes and get to painting those walls and ceiling.

2 Likes

I was willing to take the garage even with the unpainted walls, it was my wife who said that didn’t work for her despite the fact that she understands that her input on the garage is as welcome as my input on home decorating…LMAO. But she has a point and I should have an estimate today on getting it and a few of the house rooms painted before we even move in.

The Universe works in strange ways… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks terrific, enjoy!

Alan

1 Like

paint it white or some other highly reflective color . Dark colors eat light.

what the heck, have the floor steam cleaned and epoxy painted too. Then I can be really jealous;

1 Like

With that much to paint??

Airless!

1 Like