Bulk Purchase Broadsport 5 Speed?

I am getting (1) of these boxes:

http://www.guybroad.co.uk/lastest_xk_selection/product4.html

…if there are (2) more purchased the price comes down from 2,950 (English Pounds currency- $3,835 USD) to 2,650 ($3,435) which pays for the shipping ($325 USD).

Anybody else out there want to buy one of these? There are two versions, one for shorter E-Types and the longer (V12 & 2+2’s).

I can wait, if it helps, but the exchange rate, currently is good for our side of the pond and may not stay that way if N Korea becomes more of a problem.

Thanks,

Huff
2+2

i think i am interested… i am in NorCal. Will look for the money.
Mark Tangney

Funny, sort of, how that reality stuff creeps in, eh?

Seriously brilliant move going for the 5-speed along with the conversion to manual. It breaks the matching numbers paradigm already (congratulations) why not improve the car in the process? I really like my 3.54 gears but a .7-ish fifth up front would be sweet. Keep us posted on progress.

Hi Huff,
Where can I get more information about the installation in a SWB Coupe? I may interested in one if it doesn’t require any modifications to the car. What bell housing does it use? Do you use the stock rear engine (trans) mount? What about speedo cable/drive?

Bob_S

Hi Bob.

According to Broad: “Nothing is needed to be welded or mounted differently, All fits in fine.”

Here is what I have gleaned, mostly from them-It is supposed to fit the long and short cars as there are (2) tail-housings available, one shorter than the other. I am told there are not other mods except maybe a shortened prop shaft (probably to the longer cars). It uses the stock bellhousing and all the other sundry clutch stuff except, it uses, what I think is a ford disc but you can then put a reg Jag clutch pressure plate on top of that. I am supposed to get a spec sheet and some more info, sometime soon, but you could ping Broadsport, as well, to confirm and make info(s) complete. I don’t know about the speedo cable setup but I want to say it uses the stock right-angle drive, but don’t quote me on that.

More, as it is availed.

Thanks,

Huff

Hello. I am interested too. How long before you need a commitment?
(I have to say this.) Given the amount of immediate interest being generated here, could we negotiate a larger discount for a given number of orders?
David R

1 Like

i guess that I’ve been away too long but what happened to using the Mustang 5 sp?

Hi David,

I can wait a bit, but “a bit” may be subjective. The “3 for shipping free” is a standing offer, evidently, if you become 4 and there is more there may be an even deeper discount but I wouldn’t expect it to be substantial. That being relayed I could be wrong and will ask.

More, soon, with some luck and effort.

Huff

I am also interested in the 5 speed, but need more information.
Check out the UK e type forum, sounds like Peter C. may have some knowledge of this box?

Glenn
70 E FHC

Hello, Huff.

I’m going to talk to my mechanic next week (I am relatively ignorant, mechanically), and will also do a bit of research. Based on that, I will get back to you a.s.a.p.

Regardless of when that is, I recognize that you are the “ringleader” (no offence intended) here, and must act when you must act. However this turns out from my perspective, hats off for sharing this opportunity.

Best,

David

Cangliosi said he can’t get parts anymore and don’t know when more will be available, so I had my 4 speed rebuilt last year.

I thought the broad speed box was kind of weak and required cutting a crossmember?

Hi David,

I am in no great rush, sometime in the next few weeks is when I am hoping to getting close to pulling the trigger on this. Hastiness is the enemy of frugality, and I have delayed my project by some months to research and fill the coffers so as to be able to afford this endeavor and get the best deal for the right parts.

I will ping the supplier, yet again, as many have shown interest.

Good luck to all of us.

Huff

Hello, Huff.

I just checked in to the forum and saw there was a bit of dust around the possible cutting and welding attached to getting one of those 5 speeds. Where is the issue sanding now, from your perspective?

FYI, I wrote to Tom Norton at Broadsport to request the info you got then followed up to thank him and, based on another commenter’s observation, ask:

“One complaint that I’ve heard about this box is that the stick comes very
close to the console when engaging first gear - to the point that knuckles
bump into vinyl. Is that the case and, if so, can anything be done to
remedy?”

This was a couple of days ago. No response yet.

David

Hi David,

As of now, I have inquiry out to the manufacturer, for the cutting/welding the crossmember on the SWB models with hope that it may not need to be done at all on the LWB as the rear mount may very well be further aft on the longer cars. In their installation instructions:
ETYPE G BOX INSTRUCTION SHEET.pdf (411.3 KB)

They may allude by using the wording “only” in gaining the rear mount clearance that the “chamfer” (my wording), if it needs to be done, at all (maybe depending on the wheelbase length of the car), could be done, possibly by just heating and knocking down that forward sheet metal corner of the crossmember some instead of cutting and welding in an insert (I may be entering “butcher” territory, here) and I may very well be imbuing into this over-hopefully, but I need to find out more, if I can, from shops that have done this installation and their technique(s), therein. I still like the thot of the sturdy/proven Ford-guts box, whereas I don’t need the “racing” capacity that most of the other boxes are designed to. These Broadsport boxes are very successful in the XK 120/140’s and, supposedly some very good results in an E-Type, as well. I don’t mind a bit more effort to save to the tune of 2 to 3,000 USD compared to many of the other kits/boxes availed but the possible shifter location problems, if any, may be a factor in deciding.

More, soon.

Huff
69 2+2

1 Like

There is not now, and never has been, any Mustang 5-speed that will drop into any E-Type without a LOT of modification. The closest you can come is to buy a used Mustang 5-speed, then buy the parts kit 5speeds.com sells to convert it to a JT-5. IIRC, cost of that kit was $2500-3000. No idea if even that kit is even still available, due to the parts shortage that prevents Paul from selling JT-5s. My impression is his problem was getting brand-new T-5 boxes to build into JT-5s, but there may well be more to it than that. Regardless, there is NO stock Mustang gearbox that will simply drop into an E-type.

Regards,
Ray L.

Hi Ray, that is exactly the kit I was referring to, from my vague memory you could buy a completed trans from them or buy a kit to use the Mustang trans and do the work to convert it. But the Mustang trans was the base for the kit IIRC.

Hi David,

That thing called “work” has been an interruptus, recently, but helps afford the purchase of parts. Here is what I know and/or suspect, as on this writing-

I searched the web and found little discourse about the shifter location being a problem in the E-Type and it follows suit with what is published by Broad, of the Broadsport box, in a published interview “As a result, the Guy Broad workshops were lent a stripped E-type shell and have developed all the peripheral components to be able to offer the same superb quality gearbox upgrade for the XK’s successors.”

I was referred to, by Broad/Tom and contacted a UK shop that has installed these and they confirm that the SWB will still need the “chamfer” cut and welded into the cross-member, for the rear trans mount but that _most likely_the LWB (2+2’s) will not need that mod as the tailhousing on the factory trans is further back, due to the stretched body and therefor does not need the added work. I see this as making sense and really don’t see a big issue with that additional work, as is, if I end up having to do it when the time comes, as I am still gung ho on getting this box.

I still seek info on the speedo drive and if that is not a lot of problematic-work, while the pound is down I am going to take the plunge, sometime soon.

Thanks,

Huff

Hello, Huff.
Sorry for the delay in responding but my wife and I are on the road back to Ottawa after going down to Carbondale to see the eclipse.
I will digest and respond to your findings in the next few days.
Thank you for your research and thoroughness.
Best,
David

Huff

If it is not too late to jump on this bandwagon, I would be interested in the 5-speed bulk purchase (I have the funds available now if I commit). In my case, the recipient is a Series III that already has a manual transmission.

In summary (as I read it) the outstanding issues are (in no particular order):
– cutting/notching the cross member (more likely on SWB; somewhat likely (??) on the Series III)
– possible driveshaft adjustment (more likely on SWB; somewhat likely (??) on the Series III)
– the speedometer cable fitment
– apparent use of a Ford disc
– clearance between shifter handle (in first) and dashboard
– the utility of the existing bell housing (apparently more an issue on series III, as I read it)

And finally (ultimately) the final volume of the discount based on the magnitude of the bulk purchase.

I realize each individual could (and likely should) contact the vendor personally / directly, but it seems to me many of the above questions would be repetitious over several phone calls. Perhaps one person could take the lead and get a written reply from the vendor addressing all the issues; or perhaps two persons could get the answers: 1 for SWB, 1 for LWB.
Just my thoughts – as a late comer.

Craig

Hi Craig,

I just put to the supplier these questions (some a repeat asking) and hope to fill in the gaps, as much as I can, sometime soon.

More, soon. In the meantime I am sailing until Monday.

Huff